Office Depot - Churn and Burn | Glassdoor

"Churn and Burn"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance into management, if you are willing to manage with a heavy hand, Work mostly from home office.

Cons

North Florida Regional Director's style is to encourage his District Managers to micro-manage their sales teams. Known to say " Don't bother to get to know a reps name until they have made it (at least) 1 year". Created resentment and poor employee morale. Most reps don't even last 1 year (thus there is some logic to his quote). In the process of merging with Office Max to try to compete with Staples who is the clear industry leader for many reasons. Margins are getting squeezed by small local suppliers which hurts a reps bonus chances. Selling a commodity, which makes it very difficult to differentiate from competition. Dinosaur industry that is moving away from the need for outside representation. All customer purchasing can be easily done online with no help of a rep. Job longevity prognosis is very poor for an outside sales rep. Lots of buzz-words from management and not much action to back them up. I'm going to stop now. You get the point......

Advice to Management

Treat adults like adults, not like children.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "I enjoy being a cashier over all for office depot. Not very demanding"

Current Employee - Cashier in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Practice interactions with customers and always being on the move constantly

Cons

Standing long hours especially on very slow days

Advice to Management

Increase hourly pay and hours for part timers. More than 9 hours a week

"Great when it started, but too many negative changes Too many unrealistic expectations"

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

teamwork among management was wonderful

Cons

after ISCE. it became difficult to manage day to day tasks that were required. It became harder and harder to meet expected deadlines with the tools and time given.

Advice to Management

As a corporation, you determined to eliminate people based on the stores performance not the persons performance. I don't think this was right or fair. I could not make people shop or buy things at our store. Good lord, the facility our store was in was located where old crack houses were. The developers knocked them down and put a new mall in the middle of crack town, that was your first mistake. second was letting go of some great talent because those stores didn't produce.