Office Depot - It's a bitter sweet job as an associate. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"It's a bitter sweet job as an associate."

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Now I can only speak for my store in the Metro Atlanta Area (will not be specific). If you are a basic Customer Service Specialist I (starting position). It is a bitter sweet situation. The pros are that there is a part of the day (hours vary by time of year but around 12-4) Called "Depot Time" This means that the only thing you are supposed to do is speak with customers and either direct them to the product they are looking for or sell them on a product they are debating on buying. This is great because you are moving a lot and interacting with many people and doing sales work. At least at my store the majority of staff get along and it is a good working environment between eachother, especially with the team work the job requires (lots of communication over the headsets).

Cons

Outside of "Depot Time" is where things get tedious. You are often sent to do little tasks, sometime things like reorganizing shelves the way corporate requires which is understandable. However it seems often that things are just made up to have you do for the illusion that payroll isn't being wasted. When it honestly is worse off as you are often doing tasks that don't even need to be done or were just taken care of very recently. As a CSS I you are payed minimum wage and the work they put you through with these tasks are often much more work that minimum wage is worth, especially when your time could be better spent on helping customers that do often get missed and neglected when these tasks are being done. It just seems a bit anti-productive to the message of "Depot Time" or the saying all associates are taught, and they're slogan of sorts "Building our business one customer as a time".

Advice to Management

Require less tasking and more customer service, its preferable for the employee and more beneficial to the customers. Of course many tasks are necessary, but manage the time for them better and don't hop on an associate because they aren't working with a customer that very second. We aren't hiding from them..

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. "Fast paced environment requires attention to detail and love of customer service"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always something to do, someone to help, and people to talk to. You're always moving and rarely left bored. Corporate allows you to say "yes" to a customer without any fuss.

Cons

Workload is sometimes too heavy due to strict payroll. There is little accountability for store management to ensure schedules and reviews are actually being done.

Advice to Management

Hold management accountable for schedules being posted earlier in the week. Hold store managers accountable for managing people (hiring, firing, scheduling, and training), not random tasks.

"Find somewhere else"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers...nothing else. They make the job dealable.

Cons

Terrible place to work at. Associates get treated horribly while management can do no wrong. Very stressful, constantly getting yelled at for not making "numbers". Having to chase down customers as soon as they walk in the door, awkward for employees and customers get mad. No work life balance. Management think they own you. Might just be my store but no AC is ever on. High turnover rate as we get dirt kicked in our faces. Don't ask for a day off, it will get denied. Worst place I have ever worked in all honesty.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates with respect. Without us you have no store. We do your dirty work!