Office Depot - I love my job on a day to day basis. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

"I love my job on a day to day basis."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

My immediate boss is the best resaon. He makes or breaks the job. And the flexibility. I have a home office and can work at my laptop at 10 am on a Sunday if I want. My customers are the best. It is a lottery ticket every time I walk into a business in my hometown - a chance to make a new customer and/or a new friend. I have learned a great deal about how a large company operates, previous to this position, I had never worked for such a large institution. It is great to sell something every company buys - it makes them all a target.

Cons

Right now things are not good and I am hoping that they are on the upswing. I am told by those who have been around much longer that the pendulem swings both ways and now it is WAY to the bad. Upper management seems to be interested in tracking activity levels instead of productivity. My boss and his seem to have had their ability to make the decisions taken away from them - they do not get to run this market - it is run out of the corporate office. My bonus and goals are chosen out of thin air it seems - no way to track if they are correct. Morale is very bad and I am sicki of hearing everyone crab.....

Advice to Management

Let the District Manager and regional Manager run the market - that is what you pay them for. Bring support services back into the US. Regardless of how much money you are saving - you are losing customers. Stop with making my boss' bonus categories different from mine - are you nuts? Look at what worked in the past and do it again, quit reinventing the wheel.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

"Easy to Cut... Harder to Grow"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Delray Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Delray Beach, FL

Pros

Office Depot is a great place to work if you are relatively new to corporate America. You will be allowed to participate in a variety of groups within the company.

Cons

Horrible leadership, miserable moral and lack of professional development.

Advice to Management

Managers need to change their paradigm regarding what a "successful business" is, success is a businesses ability to make money, not save money. Cutting resources and cutting jobs doesn't equal "growth". I am unable to service my internal and external clients because of the bone deep cuts our senior management has insisted upon. I can point to 3 separate occasions where we have lost over $100K in revenue because I was unable to do something for a customer that I had previously been able to do, thanks to outsourcing or lack of staff.

"Executive Committe needs to go."

Former Employee - Director in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Delray Beach, FL

Pros

there are a lot of great minds at the sales rep level and middle management. The sales reps and customer service staff are dedictaed to supporting the customer.

Cons

Executive level has no clue. The executive committee has a "shared leadership" culture. This simply means that they cannot make decisions. This also allows them to point fingers at their own committee members when decsions are not made. Decisons are only made when the executive committee votes "UNANIMOUSLY" on a project. Any fortune 100 company that I worked for, a decison was made on a "CONSENSUS".

Advice to Management

Office Depot has lost millions in revenue and profit over the last 15 months. Their market cap has fallen substantially. If a sales rep was at this level of performance, he/she would be fired. My advice, the board needs to fire the entire executive committee, including the CEO.