OfficeMax - Good Temporary Job .. High School Phase | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Good Temporary Job .. High School Phase"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Fairfield, CT
Current Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Felxible hours.. willing to let you decide what days to work without any problem ( good for anyone who has sports and work going on at the same time ) chill place the work isn't that complicated. they will never fire you for being a lazy worker, just cut your hours.

Cons

Hours gets cut dramatically, not a professional environment, so much is expected for such a little pay. DO NOT TRY YOU HARDEST they will expect that type of work everyday you go in and harass you if its different

Advice to Management

Stay as organized as yo can and know how to get comfortable with your employees but not to a limit where they are not listening to you.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"You are expendable."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spiffs - not a bad way to make extra money, but only if you can sell.

Cons

Managers micro-manage every second
    Encouraged to not work with co-workers to complete tasks
    Score cards to keep track of your sales
    Employees aren't given direction.

Advice to Management

Don't micro-manage everything, and we as employees can't control what a customer buys. We can only make suggestion. Try and give more direction to your employees when asking them to do something. There is nothing wrong with praising an employee. Don't ask why we didn't upsell something, be glad we helped a customer. Upgrade all of the tech that we use because it has been outdated since 2005. Don't position stores next to a more profitable retailer like target. It cuts sales and you in turn yell at your employees for not making sales.

2. "Great team to work with"

Current Employee - Impress Associate in Leominster, MA
    Current Employee - Impress Associate in Leominster, MA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our Officemax in Leominster, MA competing within 1 mile of Staples, a native Massachusetts corporation, presents itself with more modesty and creativity to compete. The team is smaller, personable, upbeat and creative. If you don't mind the high maintenance and low volume (retail) experience, it's a great place to work. Our Impress department offers a wider array of DTP services, a customer can walk in and get business cards designed and printed while they wait for under $50.

Cons

Irregular and inconsistent hours, no full time schedules available, high turnover, and therefore little training for new staff. Pay starts at minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Related to my department, Impress, outside sales reps would help considerably in reducing the smaller jobs (that take as much time to set up as larger jobs), and mandating 24 hour turn arounds for any design work would reduce the chaos and increase product quality.