OfficeMax - Pretty good company as far as retail goes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Pretty good company as far as retail goes."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good. Between 401k, medical and a generous vacation allotment the company take care of you.

Cons

Constant change. In search of better processes the company is constantly changing how we do things and unfortunately most time is for the worst.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Empower your people to make decisions. Listen to what the people in the field are actually saying.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"Wouldn't want to make a career out of it."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with availability and time off.
    Relatively small staff - you do feel like a family.
    Store management & co-workers were a lot of fun most of the time.
    Managment consistently gave credit where credit was due (sales, going above and beyond, etc).
    Adequate advancement opportunities, although my personal situation didn't allow for it.

Cons

Excessive micro-management....Not so much from store management, but from company-wide policies and procedures.
    Pay is laughable - I made more money in a "lower" position working for an inderect competitor.
    Too much emphasis on add-ons (Max, CtrlCtr, EK's, etc).

Store management at the time I started was--shall we say--a bit lax. Nothing got done....store was always disorganized.....failed at mystery shops....did poorly on sales. Sometimes I, as sales consultant, would pretty much be running the store myself while the Impress associate was busy with his own work and the MOD sitting in the office playing with his phone. Shortly after I started we got a new store mgr and mostly new management team. The place did a 180, and it actually became fun to go to work.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Allow your store management to think for themselves. Focus more on service to the customer and less on the add-ons and upsales. Add-ons does not always equal service. How many questions do you think customers want to be asked every time they go through the checkout?.....paper....MaxPerks.....Max Assurance/EK/CC (if applicable).....free PC checkups....OMX Visa card. There DOES come a breaking point; a customer CAN avoid all of this foolishness & falderol by shopping online, whether it be with OMX or a competitor.

I would also suggest that whoever designs planograms (who I'm sure makes considerably more money than the store associates who attempt to descipher & set up these things) should be required to spend at least some time working in a retail store before they're ever allowed to touch the planogram making software. Half the time the POG's don't make sense or you can't fit the requried product in the designated space (had one such POG just this week in fact).

Eliminate the ink refill program. Unless you have an associate whose only job is to do ink refills, they are a huge pain especially when you are busy, understaffed, and a customer insists on waiting for their refill which means you have to do it right now. About half the cartridges don't pass the print test after refilling (which means you wasted 15 min on it, and the company wasted money as well), and some that do refill successfully will still come back after the fact. The machine in my store was broke down for months before it was ever called in (only after the DM told us to during one of his visits), simply because NONE of us wanted to deal with it anymore.

2. "Great job for students"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laguna Woods, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laguna Woods, CA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They were flexible with my school schedule.

Cons

The pressure to sell extended warranties