OfficeMax - An OK company without much of a future. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"An OK company without much of a future."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the management from DM and above are good people who want you to succeed.

Cons

No real plan for the future, not enough profit to move forward.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"An atypical retail job with less perks and benefits than available with competitors"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the multiple stores I've worked for, they've always provided as many hours as you want to work (but not to exceed 40, that's a cardinal sin!) The company does provide benefits for it's full time employees, including health/dental/optical insurance, and paid vacation/holidays. The staff is fun, and as long as everyone gets along, can become a tight-knit family. The customer truly comes first.

Cons

There is no consistency. In the 6 years I've worked for OfficeMax, both as an associate and an employee, I've seen dozens of goal, process, and culture changes within the company. We are a company that tries to model itself after whatever retailer is currently most successful. The company will pump tons of time and money into new programs, then abandon them months, or even weeks later.

A key word that I keep seeing in reviews on here is "micro-managed." That is an understatement. Everything we do in your sales process, everything we do in a logistical or operational sense, is micro-managed. I 100% believe that processes and different aspects of a business need to be held to certain standards, but the OMax senior management dictate everything we do meticulously. In sales, we have to do it the company way. I'm sorry, but there comes a point when you start to sound like a robot. An effective sales person sells their own way. They institute their own knowledge, charisma, and methods to close sales. That's not the way it works at OfficeMax.

Speaking of becoming a robot, the cashier/customer interaction is obnoxious. This is an accurate account of the OMax "script." "Do you have a MaxPerks account with us? Would you like to sign up? (insert explanation of the Perks program here) Would you like a copy of your receipt emailed to you? Would you like any paper while it's on sale? It's three reams for fifteen dollars, or two reams for 10. Would you like to donate a one or five dollar item to help a local teacher today?" That is truly what the cashier is responsible for asking the customer before even ringing up the transaction. I won't be shocked when they end up having to pitch magazine subscriptions like the old Media Play cashiers.

There is (at least in my district) no opportunity for advancement. You can promote into low-paying hourly jobs, but all of our salary positions (store manager and asst manager) end up going to co-workers from our district manager's former company. I think that knowing you have no room for internal advancement really dampens your spirit and limits how much you're willing to give the company.

We don't usually get recognition for a job well done, but we will quickly hear about it when we didn't perform to expectation. Once again, this is something I blame on our district manager. I've worked for four district managers in my six with years with the company (yes, four.) Former DMs were usually willing to complement a job well done... not the current one.

Our associate discounts are the worst of any retailer that I've ever worked for. I realize that this is nit-picky, but if I need CDs or DVDs, I have a friend buy them using his employee discount at Best Buy. You can count our electronic item and furniture discount percentage on one hand (seriously.) The supply discount is narrowly better. We receive no discounts on computers. We cannot use coupons in conjunction with our discount. Using coupons nets us a better price than with using our discount. Think of it this way: Customers use coupons. Employees can also use coupons, which get you a better discount than your discount. But employees can't combine both. Employees cannot get better pricing than customers. Judging the discount that our competitors give their employees, it tells us that OfficeMax appreciates its employees less than our competitors.

These are just a few of the pressing issues that most of our associates can agree on.

Advice to Management

A few years ago we didn't have the greatest customer satisfaction numbers. The company realigned itself and put the customer first. We've now got great customer service scores, but the company has forgotten about it's associates... the ones who are the face of your company. I've been here a long time, and I listen to the associates. Employee morale is low, and something needs to be done to fix it.

2. "Pretty good company as far as retail goes."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good. Between 401k, medical and a generous vacation allotment the company take care of you.

Cons

Constant change. In search of better processes the company is constantly changing how we do things and unfortunately most time is for the worst.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Empower your people to make decisions. Listen to what the people in the field are actually saying.