OfficeMax - An "OK" review of OMX | Glassdoor

"An "OK" review of OMX"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling. Some great co-workers. Decent benefits with 401k. Great DM for DFW, he has a great motive to improve customer service across the area(however, not all of the SMs are on the same page).

Cons

SMs keeping unnecessary people(people with attendance and productivity issues) on staff. Payroll constantly being cut. Horrible executive decisions from Merchandising and Marketing teams. Constantly having to touch different tasks multiple times over and over again. Some Managers have been kept for to long, may be burnt out... Moving up from the Supervisor level will involve some politics, getting on a SMs' good side, and getting involved with events.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting retail store payroll and start cutting positions in the Corporate buildings, stores are already having a hard time with managing customers when there's a 3:10 customer:employee ratio in every store and you want us to do 10 times more with 10 times less payroll. Get a grip on decision making and stop dropping tons of task on the retail stores that are due during busy seasons like BTS, Holiday, BTB, etc...

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"work 1 yr sucked operations supervisor"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marlborough, MA

I worked at OfficeMax (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay learning experience, great vacation

Cons

You have to track everything, your day is laid out for you and you have follow it t.

Advice to Management

Watch your store managers like a hawk some treat there lower mangers and supervisor like there very slaves its that bad. I got let go because i wasn't tracking stuff correctly come on.

"If I could give a Negative rating I would"

Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My former Impress Team, the three of us ran the department like a well oiled machine for 4 years. We had each others back. A particular set of retail colleagues made the hours fly by, I always said If we ever had the chatter on the headsets broadcasted we would be a popular radio station. We managed to be one of the top performing stores while being able to have fun working there.

Cons

The people are the only reason it was even tolerable.
    - Company is so cheap it makes your job harder and less worth it
    - They impose unecessary problems and unrealistic goals and expect you to solve them
    - They micromanage you to the point of stressing you out
    - They tell you how to do your job, even when you've been doing it without error longer than they've worked for the company
    - 4 years working fulltime hours on part-time status with no accrued/earned time off.
    - More work, no yearly raises or the slap-in-the-face after 2 years working, the 1/2 cent raise ($9.7375). I did say they were cheap right?

Advice to Management

Impress Associate: Boost department sales while sellin MA's and attachments to floor products, Sell CTRLCenter, clean bathroom/breakroom, recover store, set planograms, cross train floor associates who know it's a crap deal, do truck, Don't you dare ask for help when you get swamped or you get an underperformance meeting.
    Supervisors don't get it better. They still have to do these things while never being in the department because they are now MOD's who never get back to their department.
    Confused already? This is why I DON'T WORK HERE ANYMORE.
    I got overlooked for Impress Sup promotions 4 times and then was called up to TRAIN the external hires who got picked over me. This company suck when considering internal employees.