OfficeMax - work 1 yr sucked operations supervisor | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"work 1 yr sucked operations supervisor"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marlborough, MA
Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marlborough, MA

I worked at OfficeMax (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay learning experience, great vacation

Cons

You have to track everything, your day is laid out for you and you have follow it t.

Advice to Management

Watch your store managers like a hawk some treat there lower mangers and supervisor like there very slaves its that bad. I got let go because i wasn't tracking stuff correctly come on.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"If I could give a Negative rating I would"

Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My former Impress Team, the three of us ran the department like a well oiled machine for 4 years. We had each others back. A particular set of retail colleagues made the hours fly by, I always said If we ever had the chatter on the headsets broadcasted we would be a popular radio station. We managed to be one of the top performing stores while being able to have fun working there.

Cons

The people are the only reason it was even tolerable.
    - Company is so cheap it makes your job harder and less worth it
    - They impose unecessary problems and unrealistic goals and expect you to solve them
    - They micromanage you to the point of stressing you out
    - They tell you how to do your job, even when you've been doing it without error longer than they've worked for the company
    - 4 years working fulltime hours on part-time status with no accrued/earned time off.
    - More work, no yearly raises or the slap-in-the-face after 2 years working, the 1/2 cent raise ($9.7375). I did say they were cheap right?

Advice to Management

Impress Associate: Boost department sales while sellin MA's and attachments to floor products, Sell CTRLCenter, clean bathroom/breakroom, recover store, set planograms, cross train floor associates who know it's a crap deal, do truck, Don't you dare ask for help when you get swamped or you get an underperformance meeting.
    Supervisors don't get it better. They still have to do these things while never being in the department because they are now MOD's who never get back to their department.
    Confused already? This is why I DON'T WORK HERE ANYMORE.
    I got overlooked for Impress Sup promotions 4 times and then was called up to TRAIN the external hires who got picked over me. This company suck when considering internal employees.

"With an older clientele, you have fewer customer issues and enjoy a more professional workplace."

Former Employee - Print Center Associate in Temple, TX
    Former Employee - Print Center Associate in Temple, TX

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are friendly, they are very willing to listen to advice and almost always come in looking for a solution to a very solvable problem.
    You are almost always treated with respect and depending on your own attitude, you build a loyal base who come in exclusively to work with you.
    Out of other retail environments, this is best suited for those who like thinking on their feet and are willing to break through "communication barriers" to suit the customers needs.

Cons

There are no incentives to work harder, which eventually breaks down even the most dedicated employees.
    My direct management was mixed, the upper level staff was professional and courteous, but some of the middle management was terribly rude to customers and staff.
    The outreach programs by upper level management are ineffective, carried out by video training sessions, and come off as obstructive instead of informative.

Advice to Management

Put some policies in place to reward hard working employees, address complaints raised by lower level staff, and do not allow problem managers to be rehired.