OfficeMax - Unrealistic expectations | Glassdoor

"Unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Associate
Former Employee - Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associate discount (10%). Flexible work schedule. Some managers are natural leaders and great to work with - depends on whose schedule you get on.. One manager in particular was awesome: treated employees with respect, was helpful and patient training new employees and always said "please" and "thank you." He told me I was great with the customers: warm and welcoming. I was motivated to work even harder on his shift. I would have stayed longer in that case. If they want to be the Nordstrom of office supply stories, they need to have adequate staff to serve the customers.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of line employees/cashiers to clean the whole store including vacuum, clean restrooms, wash windows during a one hour closing period. Understaffed during second shift when a lot of people shop. Skeleton crew expected to restock and recover and respond to customer requests. I felt like no matter how hard I worked, I was never good enough. I don't think managers are trained in leadership and communication skills. Appreciation of employees' efforts is lacking. At the end of the day I felt beat up, like I was never good enough. Office Max will continue to have high turnover, low morale and upset customers until they start treating their employees like human beings, not machines. It's impossible to listen on the headset and listen to customers during check out. It's crazy making. Listening to the customer and making them feel important should be most important.

Advice to Management

See above and don't try to run an evening shift with a skeletal crew. It only results in low morale, poor customer service.and high turnover, costing the company even more money in down time and training new employees.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"limited opportunities"

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice facility, great work/life balance

Cons

glass ceiling with little room for advancement

2. "Why work hard if no one cares?"

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small staff, get close to coworkers.
    Opportunity to learn.
    Opportunity to utilize creative potential. (In Impress print center.)
    Chance to have a personal hand in assisting customers.
    Chance for longevity in the company--I worked there for three years.

Cons

Small staff, spats with coworkers never go away.
    No chance to really optimize creative potential due to pricing and time constraints.
    Management poorly trained and poorly selected.
    No full time positions open when asked--but suddenly available for (white) new hires.
    Hour cuts come in time with yearly raises, so you never make more than you did when you started.
    Yearly raises are infinitesimal regardless of your skill or rating--employee with the most customer compliments submitted to corporate in the entire district, roughly $0.20 raise per year.
    Schedule is based on payroll, leaving the store permanently understaffed and customers angry.
    Customer complaints in regards to management are to be shouldered and handled by hourly employees.
    Hostile work environment at my location.

Advice to Management

Having better staff provides better service, which provides better customer support, which in turn creates better profits. Cutting staff, hours and wages when the market dips just makes everything worse. Fielding complaints from employees should be done efficiently, and fielding complaints from customers should be done by management.