OfficeMax - More bad than good. | Glassdoor

"More bad than good."

Current Employee - Impress Supervisor
Current Employee - Impress Supervisor

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Company has the potential to be a lot of fun and does offer opportunity for those wanting to move up. They take care of the employees who make it to management and are always looking for new products and new ways to improve.

Cons

There is no payroll to give. You are overworked and understaffed. They tell you that if you hit sales goals you can get more staff. If you are understaffed however, you will never hit your sales goals. Base pay starts at minimum wage which is pathetic. Most retailers are giving $10 an hour. Office Max caters to professionals, but only has payroll to hi

Advice to Management

You will never hit your comp numbers if you keep cutting payroll and saddling your people with too much work. .They will not perform and in many cases cannot perform under the conditions. (Walk a mile in their shoes)

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "Good Job While in School"

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

The management staff worked with my hours for classes. good training oppurtnuities

Cons

Not any that I can think of. I only made minimum wage, but it was my first job and I was 16. So, cannot complain.

"Unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associate discount (10%). Flexible work schedule. Some managers are natural leaders and great to work with - depends on whose schedule you get on.. One manager in particular was awesome: treated employees with respect, was helpful and patient training new employees and always said "please" and "thank you." He told me I was great with the customers: warm and welcoming. I was motivated to work even harder on his shift. I would have stayed longer in that case. If they want to be the Nordstrom of office supply stories, they need to have adequate staff to serve the customers.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of line employees/cashiers to clean the whole store including vacuum, clean restrooms, wash windows during a one hour closing period. Understaffed during second shift when a lot of people shop. Skeleton crew expected to restock and recover and respond to customer requests. I felt like no matter how hard I worked, I was never good enough. I don't think managers are trained in leadership and communication skills. Appreciation of employees' efforts is lacking. At the end of the day I felt beat up, like I was never good enough. Office Max will continue to have high turnover, low morale and upset customers until they start treating their employees like human beings, not machines. It's impossible to listen on the headset and listen to customers during check out. It's crazy making. Listening to the customer and making them feel important should be most important.

Advice to Management

See above and don't try to run an evening shift with a skeletal crew. It only results in low morale, poor customer service.and high turnover, costing the company even more money in down time and training new employees.