OfficeMax - Decent People Horrendous Company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Decent People Horrendous Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colonie, NY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colonie, NY

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lower Management was fair and encouraging

Cons

Lowest pay for amount of work at retail especially with the amount of expertise expected.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees for being knowledgeable and not just for selling your warranty schemes.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "Decent company, but going through lots of changes."

Current Employee - Middle Management in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some flexibility with flexible work schedules. Decent career opportunities with a lot of options. Company is starting to be more innovative.

Cons

Corporate culture is kind of stressful. Work life balance is really hard to find as employees are just expected to work all of the time.

"It's all about the profits, not the employees or even customers."

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Kind, helpful, patient coworkers made it worthwhile. Even the customers are great.

Cons

Untimely move to partner w/ GoDaddy webhosting services after superbowl ads that objectify women.
    Self centered, arrogant and condescending managers who only care about selling Max Assurance so their numbers look good and they can kiss up to district managers.

Delighting customers with excellent service is NOT a core value. It's about moving merchandise and customers through the line like cattle. You only get talked to if you do something wrong and never get thanked for delivering great service. I took pride in my work so I treated customers with respect and a positive, upbeat attitude. I didn't let on I was working in Office Pergatory.

Advice to Management

Performance, communication and leadership skills training for store managers and assistant store managers. The PIF program is sad. Employees nominate one another and 1 employee is chosen monthly and given a $5 Visa gift card. Spending $60/year per store on employee recognition for 20-25 employees is weak. Performance evaluations after 6 months along with some kind of salary increase, even 25 or 50 cents an hour.