OfficeMax - Low Pay no growth | Glassdoor

"Low Pay no growth"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, TX
Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, TX

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy enough job. Anyone can do most of the jobs they have with no experience. Computer software and repair is on the up and up. Services are easy to sell.

Cons

Very very slow most of the time. In Texas they have already shut down 3 stores in 2 years with another 2 in the next year or so. Only busy time is back to school and maybe christmas. Since everyone is going paperless even that portion of the business is dropping.

Advice to Management

Get out of Computer Sales. To much money keeping Inventory up. Most customers want to touch and feel but then buy online almost everytime. Except for back to school customers that need it now. rest of the time inventory you know is going to go to clearance pricing.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"Insane Focus Goals with long hours and no thanks."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You always know how bad you are and that no matter what it is your fault.

Cons

Focus on goals set by someone in corporate who is trying to justify their job, resulting in many small focuses that do not really contribute to the profitability of the store. There is a insane focus on "protection" and service plans that has resulted in many good workers quitting and being let go simply for not excelling in this not-so-profitable focus. The company as a whole needs to focus on driving profit per store instead of focusing on many inconsequential goals that are usually not achievable.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to focus on and drive profit per store. Stop with the insane micro-focus culture and respect your managers' abilities to do their own jobs.

"I used to enjoy the job..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, small tight nit crew. Fun environment when you aren't running around trying to get things done. Good work experience for first time job.

Cons

I've been with OMX for 4 and a half years, and all I know is that after all this time I still don't understand why the company does half the things it does. They are so pointless and waste payroll that is already limited, resulting in serious under-staffing. I do the job 3 people would at another company. It's exhausting, and I always feel under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Pick a plan and stick with it. Make sure policies and actions make sense. Don't just throw something out there and hope that it will work. Appreciate the employees you have, and don't run them off by letting SMs and ASMs treat them like garbage.