OfficeMax - Worst place to work...PERIOD! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Worst place to work...PERIOD!"

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher
Former Employee - Desktop Publisher

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My fellow employees were fun to work with...

Cons

I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though I had my own pile of work to deal with. The General Manager was a complete ass and pushed numbers on us constantly. He would breath over our shoulders and belittle us in front of the customers. He once asked me why my "retail sales" numbers weren't higher. I am usually in the back and wasn't hired on to sell so I told him that I was doing my best to balance both sides. He told me "My 5 year old daughter can try, and do a better job than you." Needless to say that was the last straw for me and I left shortly after that incident.

On a side note I worked there for little over a year and I saw over 30 employees coming and going... that should be enough to raise a red flag for anyone!

Advice to Management

You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I hope they revamp the entire management.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"It's all about the profits, not the employees or even customers."

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Kind, helpful, patient coworkers made it worthwhile. Even the customers are great.

Cons

Untimely move to partner w/ GoDaddy webhosting services after superbowl ads that objectify women.
    Self centered, arrogant and condescending managers who only care about selling Max Assurance so their numbers look good and they can kiss up to district managers.

Delighting customers with excellent service is NOT a core value. It's about moving merchandise and customers through the line like cattle. You only get talked to if you do something wrong and never get thanked for delivering great service. I took pride in my work so I treated customers with respect and a positive, upbeat attitude. I didn't let on I was working in Office Pergatory.

Advice to Management

Performance, communication and leadership skills training for store managers and assistant store managers. The PIF program is sad. Employees nominate one another and 1 employee is chosen monthly and given a $5 Visa gift card. Spending $60/year per store on employee recognition for 20-25 employees is weak. Performance evaluations after 6 months along with some kind of salary increase, even 25 or 50 cents an hour.

"Good Luck..."

Pros

Outstanding customers and superior operations.

Cons

Need to improve sales processes and business approach.