OfficeMax - Good company for star performers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Good company for star performers"

Current Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance quickly if you are a star performer. Most coworkers are motivated and have a team atmosphere. Typically do not hire people right out of college. Many have a good work/life balance and lots of people have kids.

Cons

Merger with Depot just announced so future is uncertain but most likely there will be opportunities. Lack of training when you start depending on what department you are in.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your people - they are the most important asset

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"One of the most UNethical companies to work for"

Current Employee - Impress Associate
    Current Employee - Impress Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

hmmm, coworkers are genuinely hardworking, good people with actual souls.

Cons

The management expects you to do an insane amount of work while juggling all your basic tasks. Recently, we've been threatened with getting fired if TWO employees working Impress on a weekend didn't clean and reorganize the entire department. Not only do we have to deal with the high amount of walk-ins that we get, we have to finish all the jobs in the book, call customers with completed orders, and constantly answer the phone. Having only two people with the traffic that we have is already completely unethical (no lunches, no breaks, massive amount of stress), but now you're going to make us clean and reorganize the entire department? At $8 an hour??
    Impress associates are treated the most poorly, trust me, I've worked on both sides. As a cashier/associate your tasks are very achievable and simple, but in impress they are the opposite. some people in our department make less than cashiers, for specialized print work.
    There's a real disconnect between management and employees. Our new manager has drastically cut labor in order to get his yearly bonus (great ethical goal OfficeMax, that's exactly where your profits should go, to the manager, not the hardworking employees) and WE suffer the consequences. He sits in the office all day while we slave away.
    If there's one thing that could come out of this, it would be the ability to reach more people. At this point, all I can hope for is that customers will realize how unethical officemax truly is, and spend their money elsewhere.

Advice to Management

There's nothing to be said, because this company obviously cares about nothing more than profit.

2. "so-so"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a steady paycheck!

Cons

rank among the top three