OfficeMax - One of the most UNethical companies to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"One of the most UNethical companies to work for"

Current Employee - Impress Associate
Current Employee - Impress Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

hmmm, coworkers are genuinely hardworking, good people with actual souls.

Cons

The management expects you to do an insane amount of work while juggling all your basic tasks. Recently, we've been threatened with getting fired if TWO employees working Impress on a weekend didn't clean and reorganize the entire department. Not only do we have to deal with the high amount of walk-ins that we get, we have to finish all the jobs in the book, call customers with completed orders, and constantly answer the phone. Having only two people with the traffic that we have is already completely unethical (no lunches, no breaks, massive amount of stress), but now you're going to make us clean and reorganize the entire department? At $8 an hour??
Impress associates are treated the most poorly, trust me, I've worked on both sides. As a cashier/associate your tasks are very achievable and simple, but in impress they are the opposite. some people in our department make less than cashiers, for specialized print work.
There's a real disconnect between management and employees. Our new manager has drastically cut labor in order to get his yearly bonus (great ethical goal OfficeMax, that's exactly where your profits should go, to the manager, not the hardworking employees) and WE suffer the consequences. He sits in the office all day while we slave away.
If there's one thing that could come out of this, it would be the ability to reach more people. At this point, all I can hope for is that customers will realize how unethical officemax truly is, and spend their money elsewhere.

Advice to Management

There's nothing to be said, because this company obviously cares about nothing more than profit.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "Good"

Pros

Work with a lot of good people

Cons

Too much micromanagement and pressure to sell warranties

Advice to Management

Let employees do their job they are trained to do.

2. "so-so"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a steady paycheck!

Cons

rank among the top three