OfficeMax - The biggest problem with office max is the costumers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"The biggest problem with office max is the costumers."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Batavia, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Batavia, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was fine as a part time employee. All of the other employees were fun to work with. Plenty to do in the store to keep you busy without being monotonous.

Cons

Wanted us to push warranty plans that most customers are not interested in. And lots of time was spent refacing shelves after customer s randomly put things back out of place.

Advice to Management

My store has had new management since I have left and been reorganized. Looks better and starting at zero has helped the shelves be properly faced.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "The Worst"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Puerto Real, PR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Puerto Real, PR

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job, so looks good for any resume (only good thing that comes to my mind)

Cons

-Too much work considering the miserable pay
    -Management is not fully aware of the store policies.
    -They try to compensate the pay with comissions from extended warranties which are overpriced,-

Advice to Management

Get organized and use the tools provided by the system to help and keep employees up to date on new services and policies.

"This Job Will Make You Hate Your Life"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The good thing about working here are the great co-workers to rely on. Most of the customers are delightful, I have the fortune of not coming across many rude customers.

Cons

The management is where all the cons come from. Terrible pay considering all the warranties, attachments, new services (even more of a struggle to sell since OfficeMax decided to increase the prices), and over the top expectations required. The headsets are the worst and simply used by management to rush associates through sales (a major distraction considering the expectations for sales consultants to sell a "total solution" to customers and get information from customers for a post sale summary), complain, or say things they wouldn't dare say in front of customers. One customer accurately referred to the headsets a "modern day slavery". If a customer gets information about a product and doesn't make a purchase, the store manager will sarcastically remark about how I'm educating the customer, heaven forbid a customer actually want to know about an item he/she is considering purchasing.

The scheduling is terrible at the store I work. There have been more than enough situations where I've worked evening shifts with one person in the print center (other stores normally have 2-3 people in that department at one time), a cashier, closing manager, leaving me to work the entire sales floor by myself. With that scheduling, I'm usually the one person knowledgeable about our tech items so calling for backup when tied up with a customer while another customer needs assistance is pointless. I was once lectured by the manager because I was assisting a customer as another customer brought a printer to the checkout counter. Apparently, a consultant is expected to excuse him/herself from assisting a customer because a customer purchasing a printer is of more importance, despite the fact that all associates are expected to alert customers of the online customer service survey.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror, there's a reason why 17-18 employees left in the past year that I've been working at this place.