OfficeMax - The best retail experience that I've had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"The best retail experience that I've had"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for advancement if you demonstrate the appropriate skills. Turnover is low and the relatively small staff makes for great team-building. The Impress department at my store is always busy which helps reduce the monotony of working retail. Our district is very tight-knit and all the stores help each other with training and staffing (especially during Back-to-School). Our DM is always very supportive. Strong focus on educating staff about *why* we do things and how it's good for business

Cons

It's retail. Some days are more exhausting than others. I work in a fairly affluent area and a high percentage of our customer base looks down on people who don't make $100k/yr as "servants". BTS can be incredibly stressful. Never enough payroll to staff the store completely.

Advice to Management

If you're going to focus on something(s), make it only 1-3 things. Don't come out with a new "focus" every day. More accountability for PowerMax (I am so tired of collapsed pallets and ruined merch), INVEST IN PAYROLL: more staff = higher customer engagement = higher customer satisfaction = repeat business = more money.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "Decent retail job"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Victor, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Victor, NY

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a ton about customer service, upselling, cash handling, tech and paper! Management cared about employees, asked about school, family, etc as well as encouraging employees to improve at work

Cons

Not enough pay. Difficult to get hours when competing with 3 supervisors and an assistant manager. Too much talk of competing with other OMAX stores for minuscule perks. Too much selling, not enough customer service.

2. "Store Associate"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great people, work is never really dull and boring, opportunities to earn extra money through spiffs.

Cons

If you work hours where costumers aren't coming in as frequently than your opportunity to earn extra money diminishes. Officemax is not the most "current" company as far as advertising and technology.

Advice to Management

Look for more abstract ways to advertise. Many costumers dont even know that office max and office depot are two completely different stores.