OfficeMax - Challenging at times, but rewarding. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Challenging at times, but rewarding."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Machesney Park, IL
Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Machesney Park, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at OfficeMax was positive for the most part. I was harassed by a few managers but a call to HR cleared that up right away. The store became my family. The job was difficult at times, but management always provided me with training and support.

Cons

Hours suck, no room to move up in the company. The management at my store had been there for many years and weren't leaving; it was discouraging to try to do better.

Advice to Management

Allow more room to grow.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

"It's a start"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the benefits are great. Learn about paper.

Cons

Poor structure, poor support, poor pay, poor spiffs.

Advice to Management

Do not promote spiffs as a way to control your pay if you don't want reps to focus on it Mr. Doug Compton. Offer better pay and support to for retail staff. Do two week schedule no reason employees should be getting schedule for new week two days before it starts.

"Employees are people as well."

Current Employee - Store Associate in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Greeley, CO

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some truly interesting and fun people work for this company. The people apart from their roles in the store are great. The supplies sold are almost all decent quality and it's nice to be able to say that you have all of the accessories for the items you sell.

Cons

The management will overwork you to the point of severe stress and claim that they do so for your benefit. I am a part-time associate working almost 40 hours a week without benefits or paid leave.
    The company's methods and policies make no sense to anyone who has worked previously in the retail industry.
    The senior staff in most locations will excessively focus on problems without offering any solutions.
    For a group of people who constantly wear radio headsets, nobody wants to get any actual information across.
    The sales and specials rarely are handled properly and thus require substituting items and repricing the item in its individual form at the register.
    The limits of coupons and special ad prices is not applied by the computer, and the associate is forced to tell the customer that they cannot make the purchase that they want to.
    Associates are singled out and hounded for not selling products which have little or no appeal to the customer, such as MaxAssurance, copy paper, MaxPerks memberships and the dreaded Essentials Kit.

Advice to Management

Your employees are a resource for more than sweat. Their experiences and skills are an advantage to be harnessed rather than a habit to be broken.