OfficeMax - Good college job | Glassdoor

"Good college job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very versatile scheduling and pay in comparison to other entry level positions.

Cons

here are very little growth opportunities

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "Poor pay, lots of work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice manager, accommodating to schedule, nice coworkers, good work environment. I enjoyed time with my coworkers but you will be on your feet for a whole shift if you work part time.

Cons

the pay was really poor for the amount of work expected we were paid minimum wage, bad work hours especially if you were part time you were lucky to get at least 10 hours a week.

"Office Max is just as bad as Walmart if not worse."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Too few and petty and not even worth listing.

Cons

Management tactics are adolescent, hiring people as "part-time" but scheduling employees as "on call". Having a non existent no call off policy, other employees who are burned out can call off with no repercussions due to juvenile favoritism and office politics and other employees are flooded with calls on their so called "off-days" to pickup the slack for bad scheduling. I would get several calls a week from the same lazy employees who would call off several times in one week. Then I would get reprimanded if I was unable to work on my so called "off day". Never any peace for a part time job it felt far more like a full time position. I never got any peace I could work my scheduled time and be asked to come in on days I elected to have off due to my availability for school. It felt very unprofessional it was like high school all over again. The favorite employees would get their time off and the ones who weren't liked by management would be called on their off days and talked down to on the days scheduled.

This job is a burnout job. You work a few days a week dealing with rude customers, outdated IBM computers from 2004, and bad management. On your off days your called to come in to help because someone called off and management doesn't enforce call-ins. Then when you work you deal with the rudest, most entitled, cowardice customers on the planet and you supposed to deal with their crap. But you never get a real break, if your burned out on register and would like to do something else, they don't allow you to. With this system of management it is designed for failure. If your thinking about working here seriously and you have any type of backbone,reconsider. Because corporations like this are only looking for one type of thing. Slaves, beta-individuals, people who refuse to stand up for themselves and approve of others talking down to them. Good employees at Office Max and all other retail stores are ones who don't stand up for themselves. If you love being talked down to and love being belittled by angry women with a sense of entitlement. A job at Office Max is perfect for you. For you Alpha individuals who refuse to take anybody else's crap for 8.50 an hour and a whopping 10 hours a week find another job. Office Max isn't even worth two weeks notice. They don't appreciate their employees I don't respect their management.

Advice to Management

Call offs should be enforced, Employees should not be bothered on their off days because of lazy management scheduling. Managers need not "soft sell" the job to new employees and be honest and upfront about the work environment. Allow a right to refuse service clause if a customer is confrontational.