OfficeMax - Friendly environment but expects too much for too little. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

"Friendly environment but expects too much for too little."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management and Associates : The managers are friendy easy to get along with and works well as a team. Probably the only reason people would work here over a year
Flexibility: Very flexible in terms of availability and rescheduling
Workflow: being a office supply store it's not extremely busy all day
Ethics: officemax does do a good job of showing employees some respect and we don't rip off or oversell the customer.

Cons

EuesNo defined role: as a sales associate I would expect to mainly sell products and help guest. But you will find due to being understaffed you find yourself having to not only help guest but also stock and recover the store and back up and cover cashiers. While maintaining officemaxs expectations of selling services and making sure 30% of customers are using/signing up for our maxperks card.

Cheap: Salary , Spiff, and discounts are all too low for the amount of work expected. Also our p.o.s system is too outdated and our internet is terribly slow and unstable. Also if the store cares so much about max perks they should make it a 5% off card. Also like I stated earlier we are understaffed.

Micromanagement: often the management is on your case about every little thing. If you dont sell any services you get harrassed. If you not energetic you get harrassed. If their is a line you get harrassed to ring customers. If you don't sell alot of paper you get harassed. If you don't hit 30% with perks you get harassed. And the worst thing about it is the better you do the more they harrass you with just a pat on the back if you actually do good.

Too flexible: Yes this is both a pro and a con. People are allowed to call out way too often. Which causes the managment to call you on your day off. Also we are way to lenient in terms of returns. Every week I witness at least 500 dollars in returns and thats just the days I works. Ink should not be allowed to be returned in a no product should be allowed to be returned in any way past 14 days even if they claim the product is defective. No one is going to keep a product past 14 days if its defective.

No employee appreciation: the customers and company seems more important than the worker's who work for it. I understand that the customers always right but we take so much crap from the customers and get harrassed by the managers it makes us feel unappreciated. I feel like a drone instead of a employee. We do a good job of bringing the wrong guest back. We should not encourage sale abusers and thiefs to keep repeating to come back and exploits us again. It's not fair to the people who works here.

Advice to Management

For this store to improve guys sitting at the top has to make more of an effort. In fixing the many flaws the company has. Please show us as employees that there is a reason other then a friendy. Environment and good ethics to working here.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. "Office max"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Could basically work around being a full time student. Pay was good for being a student. There were sales incentives.

Cons

Lots of standing. Sometimes customers were rude. Long weekends. Worked lots of holidays including black friday.

"Horrible place to work, Rude Management"

Current Employee - Print Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Print Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like my certain customers and the only thing that keeps me coming back. It was once a great place to work but that has gone down the drain. It was once a place I liked going to work, now I am trying to get out.

Cons

There is too many to list. Needs updated, there is too much being shoved in the customers face. Need to be more realistic in the customers eyes and not what you see it. The store I am at needs to weed out the managers. They have been with the company 20+ years and still cn't run the departments in the store. They are old, outdated and need to retire instead of sticking it out to retirement. They have no clue what they are doing and expect everyone else to do it for them. They have horrible attitudes. They harass employees and talk about them behind their backs. I have seen so many employees treated like crap until they left. If they would go the store would get better customers. Customers hate to deal with the store due to the managers low, disrespectful attitudes. Our sales ops like to scream and yell at employees in front of customer. She needs to leave and quit being a brown noser up the store managers butt. We have loss so many good managers and staff, because the store manager see no wrong it his incompetent managers running the store.

Advice to Management

Visit the store in the evening and weekends and see how it is run. Our managers tend to sit in the office on the phone or hide somewhere and do planograms. It is rude to interrupt them for any help god forbid they could handle a customer. They make the employee do it. Also, they like to put on a show when they know you are coming. Of course, all corporate hides in the office and doesn't know what the real world customer wants.