Ogilvy & Mather - Great internship experience; looking for a certain type of person for their culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ogilvy & Mather

"Great internship experience; looking for a certain type of person for their culture"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

--Internship experience is pretty well organized. They've expanded to DC, Chicago and California but I was in the New York headquarters. They plan Lunch-n-Learns each week with company executives (including the CEO), assign you a mentor, a supervisor, and all the interns are divided into groups to work on a campaign for the summer as part of the internship project. The groups could've been smaller, but they assigned each group two coaches (other agency execs) and encouraged us to reach out to others in the agency for help and advice
--Great networking. They encouraged interns to send emails to people we met at Lunch-n-Learns to talk over coffee and discuss their position and our career goals and any questions we had about anything. They really do value the interns there. The people in the Associate's Program (for recent grads) were especially helpful; that is the next goal for most interns, so it was great to speak to current Associates. They have networking groups within the agency like Young Professionals, a women's group, an African American and Asian and Hispanic group, a creative group, etc. Fridays there were social events on the roof. The agency often held events with other companies and if you volunteered to greet guests or hand things out, that was also a great networking opportunity.
--Location. I love NYC and the at the headquarters you could literally take the elevator with the worldwide CEO or buy a coffee next to the CCO or work down the hall from the CMO. They have a production area right there and so many different divisions in that one building. Great exposure to the ad world!
--Internship is PAID

Cons

--They really want extroverts, Type A people. I feel I am an assertive person, but I don't think assertive is even enough. Even passive-aggressive people seem to fair better here than introverts or Type Bs. People act calm pleasant but when they want something for themselves, get kind of low-ball and catty. If you're an introvert, not even a serious one but just someone who doesn't feel the need to overdo everything and talk for the sake of talking and boss people around, you will struggle proving you belong there. Which in all honesty may mean you DON'T belong there, which is OK...Ogilvy isn't the end-all-be-all of advertising.
--They also want people CRAZY about advertising. I LOVE advertising, but at the time had taken only two ad classes and didn't have much experience, but was eager to learn more. Because I had questions about what career path I wanted to pursue within advertising and wasn't sure which was best, one of the intern team coaches told me she didn't think I wanted to be there and that I don't seem serious about the internship, which really offended me because I was happy to be there and learn as much as I could. Again, I guess since I wasn't in everyone's face talking about how much I love David Ogilvy and watch Mad Men and want to marry advertising, I came off as indifferent. If you did the above three things, even if you didn't know how to do research or pinpoint a target audience or even write decent copy, they loved you.
--I applied for a specific internship position but got placed in a completely different department, because my resume fit that description more. I understand that they fill positions based on their need, but I was hoping to learn more about the account side of advertising because I didn't have that experience before, and isn't that the point of an internship? However, I didn't want to come across as ungrateful so I kept the position. My supervisor was great at helping me connect with others to get a feel of the account side, and the intern project helped, but it wasn't the same. Again--I probably should've just thrown a passive-aggressive fit until I got what I wanted but that's just not how I am.
--Internship project. We spent so many long nights and hours (unpaid) working on this. Our coaches kind of struggled--one was always busy and when she could help she seemed to disapprove of everything we came up with and basically told us what to do; the other was sweet and helpful but didn't seem to know how to give constructive criticism; she was too positive. Our group was too big (8 people) and the most I learned from the project was presentation skills. The intern project is such a great concept but needs to be better constructed.
--No guarantee of job. You have to re-apply for the Associate's Program, and it's no guarantee that the internship helps your chances, though you do have an upperhand as far as knowing the company culture and the kind of people that work there.
--No help with housing. As expensive as NYC is, it would've been nice if we had discounts to certain residences or SOMEthing. Virtually all of the money I made that summer went to my housing.
--Location. The city and building are awesome, but it is way on 11th Ave and still takes a good 5-10 minutes to walk from the nearest subway station to the building

Advice to Management

--Great internship program, but please don't discount your introverts or "quiet" types; the ones not talking are usually thinking of something pretty awesome, waiting for the person blabbing away to shut up so they can speak.
--Also, add more structure to the internship project--for example, the typical campaign development goes research(client research-competitive research-consumer research)-strategy (including media plan)-creative strategy-creative executions-campaign measurement. Many of us didn't know this yet and if we had even that simple guideline we would have saved much time and sanity instead of trying to start with creative, then consumer research, the competitive/client research, then a media plan, as my group did.

Other Employee Reviews for Ogilvy & Mather

1. "Fun and challenging work environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward-thinking company, seem to be on the cutting edge of advertising
    Fun environment, company outings
    Great benefits and employee perks

Cons

Pay seems a bit below industry standard
    Unclear about annual review/pay raise process
    A little bit "corporate" of an environment for an agency

2. "Ogilvy Returns to Atlanta!"

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Emerging office with lots of potential. Still developing, so a work in progress, but good energy, good talent, good leadership.

Cons

Structure and staffing levels are still being figured out, so you need to like being a builder if you are here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight to make this into a great Ogilvy offering.