Ohio Department of Health - If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ohio Department of Health

"If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

I feel passionate about the work that I do (initiating, expanding, developing, and maintaining programs that are designed to prevent disease). Despite the bureaucracy and many hurdles that I have faced, I feel that I have accomplished a lot during my time here. Although executive staff tends to micromanage me, my direct supervisor has been supportive.

Cons

The current leadership does not seem to value staff education and experience. Therefore, our insights and ideas tend to be discounted. We are micromanaged to the point of having executive staff review and rewrite our memos. I manage a $100 million program and I am no longer allowed to sign even a simple memo myself without approval from executive staff - so it takes a minimum of a month to get anything sent out. It is embarassing to have to answer questions from our partners about why it takes so long to get simple tasks accomplished and I have grown weary of the hours of wasted time.

Advice to Management

Consider that there are many highly educated, highly experienced, and highly motivated staff members who feel passionate about their jobs. Don't discount their insights and ideas - and please stop micromanaging us.

Other Employee Reviews for Ohio Department of Health

1. "graduate research assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Munroe Falls, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Munroe Falls, OH

I have been working at Ohio Department of Health (More than a year)

Pros

great learning experience, I get to work on real life projects

Cons

the project execution takes a little longer than projected

2. "Great people, toxic environment"

Former Employee - Program Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Program Consultant in Columbus, OH

Pros

Loved my program and co-workers (nice people!)

Cons

Bureaucracy, politicized environment, high turnover in management, limited potential for advancement/promotion