Ohio Department of Health - If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ohio Department of Health

"If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

I feel passionate about the work that I do (initiating, expanding, developing, and maintaining programs that are designed to prevent disease). Despite the bureaucracy and many hurdles that I have faced, I feel that I have accomplished a lot during my time here. Although executive staff tends to micromanage me, my direct supervisor has been supportive.

Cons

The current leadership does not seem to value staff education and experience. Therefore, our insights and ideas tend to be discounted. We are micromanaged to the point of having executive staff review and rewrite our memos. I manage a $100 million program and I am no longer allowed to sign even a simple memo myself without approval from executive staff - so it takes a minimum of a month to get anything sent out. It is embarassing to have to answer questions from our partners about why it takes so long to get simple tasks accomplished and I have grown weary of the hours of wasted time.

Advice to Management

Consider that there are many highly educated, highly experienced, and highly motivated staff members who feel passionate about their jobs. Don't discount their insights and ideas - and please stop micromanaging us.

Other Employee Reviews for Ohio Department of Health

1. "Environmental Health"

I have been working at Ohio Department of Health full-time

Pros

-Structured environment
    -Educated co-workers
    -Downtown workplace
    -Great state benefits!

Cons

-A lot of government politics
    -Lack of communication from senior staff

2. "Program Administrator II"

Former Employee - Program Administrator II in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Program Administrator II in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to learn new software programs, participate on teams, and educational and financial benefits.

Cons

Some management staff are somewhat ridged.

Advice to Management

Stop relocating ridged managers from bureau to bureau and office to office to help them keep their jobs. Give ridged managers accounts to work on, not people.