Oklahoma Department of Corrections - The ups and downs of Oklahoma DOC | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oklahoma Department of Corrections

"The ups and downs of Oklahoma DOC"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK
Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK

Pros

The benefits that are given free of charge are absolutly awesome. Depending on the size of your family, you are given an allotted amount of money to use to purchase benefits. And if you do not use it all, then you recieve what is left over on your paycheck. In my situation, my family was allotted over $1400 a month for insurance. We have an insurance package that includes medical, vision, dental, and life insurance that comes to $1300 a month. So I get free insurance plus, an extra $100 a month on my check. They also supply life insurance free as well with the option of purchasing more. And in the worse case senerio that something does go bad at work, they help support your family in monetary ways. Even on the worst days at work, the benefits make it worthwhile.

Cons

Working at a maximum security prison is a challenge. Besides the constant worry of being able to get home safely to my family, the mental strain is awful. It may not be the most physically demanding job I've had, but mentally and emotionally, it takes the cake! I just do my best and hope that when the offenders leave prison, I never see them in again. But I do know that that isn't what's most likely going to happen. So it is sad working there in a way. Always hoping for the best and that we can help them change the direction of their life, but knowing that it probably won't in most cases.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key!

Other Employee Reviews for Oklahoma Department of Corrections

1. "It sucks. No pay raise in seven years. Make less than $40,000/yr after 10+ years."

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule...good benefits.

Cons

Poor management, upper management....did I mention the pay is absolutely terrible?

Advice to Management

show me the money!!

2. "Nice"

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

You can work for government

Cons

The pay is not well