Okta - Great leadership, great direction, great company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Okta

"Great leadership, great direction, great company"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Instructor in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Technical Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Very transparent company
* Clarity in goals and direction
* Honest introspection
* Great employees
* Great leaders
* Great company

Cons

Let me be totally honest, there aren't a lot of cons to working at Okta. It really is an awesome place to work.

* Work/life balance can get a little out of whack sometimes, but the CEO encourages a good work/life balance...but with such a fast growing company it can be a little difficult
* Sometimes the speed at which Okta is growing can make it hard to keep up with the workload (is that a con?)

Advice to Management

Stay awesome

Okta Response

Aug 26, 2014 – Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for Okta

1. "Fast ride to the top! Great organization."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room to grow, great product, Great people. Hard work is recognized you will get out what you put into it! Working for a company where you can see the results of your efforts is a big motivator. If hard work, innovation, and recognition are a motivator.. come work here. If you are looking for a easy 9 - 5 ... this is not the place.

Cons

My mail box is full of competitors emailing me to get me to go work for them. Challenges in keeping up with the product features and updates.

Okta Response

Aug 26, 2014 – Lead Recruiter

Because we attract the best and brightest talent, it does not surprise us that you are being chased by our competitors. Thank you for your commitment!

"Good product but company's culture may turn you away"

Pros

- Free lunches 3 days a week
    - Close to CalTrain (but FAR from BART)
    - Nice open and bright office

Cons

I could not agree more with another reviewer who said this company is run like an enterprise company: Okta is a 300+ company but it feels like working for a company that have 5000+ employees and have been around for 10+ years.

The departments within Okta are very silo-ed and there is little to no teamwork effort. Each department care about their own and if you happen to involve another department for a company-wide project, it becomes more like "this ain't my job or responsibilities" and the meetings can become very hostile. In a big company you may see this because, well, the company is way too big. However, this usually happens in "pockets" instead of company wide. For a 300+ company, this become more visible and can make your job very difficult.

Add this to the "elitist" mentality and you can become very unhappy working for Okta. There are some people who think that, since they joined early and built something for the company, they can do whatever they want and are "protected". The result? See above.

This is supposed to be a start-up, with teamwork mentality and the feeling of working together to build the company for greater good. This is the key reason people leave large enterprise company and joined startups, the stock options is just bonus. If Okta is run like an enterprise company, then what is the point of joining this company? At least in an enterprise company you have far better benefits - Okta does not give bonus or raise on an annual basis, no 401K matching and very expensive health care premium.

TIPS: during interview, ask your interviewer to provide an example of how his/her department collaborate with other departments and how did he/she did it.

Advice to Management

Please see the cons above - maybe Management needs to get involved more in cross-department projects to see how it is run?