Okta - Great culture, collaborative and passionate colleagues | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great culture, collaborative and passionate colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Okta culture is the best I've experienced in my 20+ years of work. The teams and individuals are extremely collaborative and smart while at the same time humble. Everyone is passionate about the product and the company mission which lends to a positive and exciting work environment. Great visibility into company goals at weekly all hands meeting.

Cons

There is a big job to be done at Okta right now so everyone is working long hours. Work/life balance could be better but the culture makes the long hours fun.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the authentic and direct communication. The lively, weekly all hands meetings and communications about company goals and news are an excellent forum to keep us all excited about our mission and engaged in our roles.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Strong engineering team, many challenges, good product, promising IPO"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strong engineering team
    - Goo product with a lot of market demand
    - Room to have impact on a successful company
    - Opportunity to solve hard problems
    - Good compensation/benefits
    - Still Pre-IPO
    - Management that cares about career path for employees both on management path or as individual contributer

Cons

Okta has doubled the engineering team every year in the past 3 years, and as a result, its sometimes challenging to keep up with the constantly growing and changing team.

Advice to Management

Try to response faster to changes in the engineering organization, reward people who are solving hard problems, and hang in there!

"Talented engineers, terrible immigration support and management"

I worked at Okta full-time

Pros

Engineers are very talented and really fun to work with
    You'll learn a lot
    WFH Thursdays

Cons

Management doesn't recognize real talents who contributed to the company for many years. (Btw, words of advice: if you want promotion, ask directly, talk all the time, post frequently in chat, and randomly cc the upper management on all your emails. Get the visibility out, and you don't need to be that good to get promoted. Just appear to be good.)

Extremely poor immigration support. If you are not a citizen or PR, don't join this company. They'll somehow "forget" filing your green card application for a whole year. The HRs will then tell you that it's because the government is slow, and upper management would buy that. Well, if you have filed the application, and the government takes a long time to process, that is perfectly ok; but you tell me it's the government's fault when you haven't even mailed the application material out to them? The case doesn't even exist! Also, whenever you email the HRs, 90% of the time you never hear back. You have no idea where you are in the process. You need to tell your manager that the HR doesn't get back to you, then the manager needs to go to the HR's desk and ask her to get back to you. The most amazing thing in this is that the relevant HR has screwed over so many immigration cases, some for green card application, some for work visa at another location, and he/she always gets away with it. Upper management will not ask your opinion, but believes in whatever excuses they make. They can fool the management, but we are very familiar with many of the immigration steps and details, so we know when it is the HR's fault and when it's the government being slow.

Advice to Management

Different people have different personalities. By the time I left, there were still quite a lot smart developers who do not lack leadership skills, but are just more down-to-earth and are quietly getting things done, instead of blabbering in the emails and chatrooms all the time. Treat them nicely, recognize their work so that they don't leave out of disappointment.

Discover more reviews about Okta.