Old Navy - Fun & Friendly Environment, Not Enough Pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Old Navy

"Fun & Friendly Environment, Not Enough Pay"

Current Employee - Cash Handler
Current Employee - Cash Handler

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Old Navy is an excellent company to work for. Its a fun environment with a lot of fun events. Excellent discounts at Old Navy (25%), Gap (50%), and Banana Republic (50%). Flexible schedule/hours. Can take vacations whenever. You receive little pressure from managers to do certain tasks.

Cons

The one reason why I am unhappy with Old Navy is because of the pay. I have been a part-time employee (Cash Handler) for 4 1/2 years, and I am still not making $8 an hour. I don't show up late, I never call out... i'm pretty much a perfect employee. This was my first and only job I have ever had, so I started out making minimum wage which is probably why I am still not making as much as I like. It stinks because management has no control over your pay, as it is an underlying corporate issue.

Advice to Management

PLEASE talk to corporate about your employees' pay! Some employees could feel discomfort by asking for a raise... theres probably a lot of other employees besides me that are discouraged by their current pay....

Other Employee Reviews for Old Navy

"Left the first chance I got"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few of the people I worked with made the day fun. If you work in the mornings, its not that bad.

Cons

The Hulen store was a project 1 store, so it was bigger than most. The floor set changed every couple of days, but you were expected to know where everything was. ONCs were key if you wanted hours, no matter how much you worked better than anyone else. I was always put somewhere to cover somebody else's break (meaning I was either at the fitting room or looking for some item of clothing in the stock room), so getting an ONC was hard. THe hours got so bad that I switched to doing receiving at 4am three times a week. This also sucked because if the truck was late or didn't show up, they would force you to go home, no matter how bad the store looked. As someone who worked regular hours too, this pissed me off because the night shift people would have to stay hours after closing to fix the mess that everyone earlier in the day made. I did not have a car at this time, so my ride would have to sit outside for 2 to 3 hours after I told them I was due to get off of work. The managers were like high school kids, it was a popularity contest. And, they changed so often that employees usually listened to the person who worked there the longest as opposed to the actual supervisor in charge.
    Customers expect you to be their slave most of the time. Once, I waited on this lady for over an hour. She was old so I didn't mind, but my manager got mad because I spent so much time with her instead of getting ONCs. The thing is, customers don't apply for ONCs unless we had a sale where they could get 30-50% off if they were approved.
    THe employee discount was good, but I used mine to shop at GAP because it was the same clothes, but a 50% discount. Sometimes, the prices weren't even that much higher either. You only get a raise ever year, and that was about 10 cents.
    Hours would be scarce, but they continued to hire new people who never showed up for their shifts. I was always asked to cover one girl's shift, who never showed up, but they continued to put her on the schedule constantly. It was good for me because I was getting her hours, but it seems like horrible management of the staff to me.
    Some of the employees were really annoying. When I first got there, one lady who was working there forever pushed me while I was on her register. It was closing time, there was virtually no one in the store. I decided to check the price of an item for one of the last people there. She got mad at me, and said to never get on someone else's machine. I was new, so how was i supposed to know anything. After being a cashier for a while, I realized that what she was doing wasn't even a hard task, so I don't know why she got so mad in the first place.
    Also, they dont train newbies that well. On my first day, I spent 7 hours folding jeans and learning how to do it correctly. THis wasn't that bad to me, but when I had to work with other people, I noticed that they did not know how to fold clothes at all. Also, managers get mad at each other all of the time, so if the people from corporate are due to make a visit, they make the employees redo the store all over. Everything must be perfect, which takes hours to do while the store is open. The clearance section is so overpacked, that there is nowhere to put things, but the managers would get mad if it wasn't color-coordinated. I had worked retail before, and this store was more annoying than anything.

2. "Not worth all of the hassle of dealing with crazy costumers as well as sub par management."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount on clothes at all Gap Inc. stores

Cons

limited hours (only give hours to favorite employees), the fact that you are just a retail worker (easily replaceable) so management doesn't really worry too much about you, you have to deal with a lot of costumers that are angry mainly because they are just ignorant.