Old Navy - i love my job | Glassdoor

"i love my job"

Current Employee - Sellebrity in Dover, DE
Current Employee - Sellebrity in Dover, DE

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people are great, there are lots of incentives and bonuses for opening credit accounts. there is plenty of opportunity for advancement from within if you prove worthy. you will gain mountains of retail knowledge and be trained across many areas of the retail process. nice discount on merchandise, especially if you use it with the right sales.

Cons

the hours can be crappy, especially shipment. it comes at 4:30-5 am. there are no bonuses available for the shipment team and there is no real incentive to do it, as you are required to process an absurd amount of product in a very short time, making the same amount of money as the person who farts around in the fitting room during normal human business hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Old Navy

"My experience was very much like any retail sales associate job, the people made it fun."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales experience, fun people to meet, discount on clothes that you may not wear and you bought because they're cheap, however, this job provided me with a great stepping stone to greater opportunities.

Cons

We called it "The Old Slavey" for a reason.

Advice to Management

Engage your employees more, teach them about what you guys are doing, make them want to know more.

"Company that is always trying to be innovative."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Old Navy full-time

Pros

There is a focus on people, constant development. Fun, upbeat environment. Stable work environment. Great benefits, medical, dental, vision, 401k, stock options, 4 weeks Paid Time Off to start. Part of Gap Inc, which gives you many transfer options if necessary.

Cons

Limited job growth without relocation, up to 20 miles from current location depending on next level position. High turn over for part time associates due to low hours/pay. Retail hours, especially during the holidays. Expect to work every holiday except Christmas. Work life balance is very limited October through January. No sick time, all built into PTO. Sometimes need to use PTO when hours are limited due to sales. Upper management changes every year.

Advice to Management

Payroll budgets too low to run a store properly. Most stores run on 75% of required staff due to this. Smaller sores have as low as 3 sellebrities (staff) closing, which doesn't allow for the service and neat/organized expectations set forth. Weekly sale events can get too gimicky, customers do not care about the funny names for the sale, they just want a good deal. The fun factor such as balloons just detract from actually selling. Maintain upper field leaders more than a couple years, too much reorganization.