Oldcastle Precast - I had to quit so I could make a living! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oldcastle Precast

"I had to quit so I could make a living!"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Stockton, CA
Former Employee - Production Worker in Stockton, CA

I worked at Oldcastle Precast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Whenever I was called in to work, things were great. My problem was that they were only working me an average of 3 days per week, and you can't live off that. I never knew where I stood with them - they were saying it was because there was not enough work. Most of the time I didn't know if I'd be called in to work until I got the daily (early morning) phone call. They seemed to like me well enough, though, so I was very confused.

Cons

Never worked a 40-hour week. Was always being temporarily laid off.

Advice to Management

Use the personnel you have all year if possible.. Many benefits are promised, but the bosses make it difficult to get past the "probation" period with so many lay-offs.

Other Employee Reviews for Oldcastle Precast

1. "Large, surprisingly entrepreneurial company"

I have been working at Oldcastle Precast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management has a lot of ability to impact the bottom line. Groups work in relative silo's with a lot of independence within each area. Lots of change/growth happening creating opportunities for growth.

Cons

Pay is low, intentional targeting 25% percentile. Talent is a revolving door. Flipside of pro above is that if you have a bad management group in your silo, you are screwed. Company is trying to figure out how to market itself as they grow. Sales therefore suffer.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to market the entire company and put some more horsepower behind sales. Develop a better support and development structure for management and future management teams.

2. "not what i thought it was going to be."

Current Employee - Lead in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Lead in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Oldcastle Precast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

overtime is mandatory, will supplement your poor pay. Working outdoors during the winter, enjoying the beautiful vitamin D, and getting a tan.

Cons

Growth from the laborers/production level is almost nonexistent. Wage increase this year with the union contract, was $0.10, all the while the union increased the health costs for all employees which exceeded the "raise," so these guys are actually taking home less money with every raise. Poor working conditions, upper management does not allow purchase of required tools to do the job. Safety is number one, but only until recently is it becoming serious and the floor guys really don't care about safety. management preaches it every day, and the quality of workers there just don't care, because they don't get paid enough.

Advice to Management

pay these guys more, get some real talent. Train them properly, train your managers properly. Not with just safety, but with EVERY aspect of their job. Invest in the failing machinery and equipment, i know its expensive but it is literally falling apart! There is no quality if you cannot make consistent concrete.