Omni Hotels - Family oriented | Glassdoor

"Family oriented"

Current Employee - Director of Rooms in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Director of Rooms in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyday is a new positive experience. You are immediately received as family. While days can be hectic I can always find support in other team members.

Cons

None really ~ I've been with Omni 25 years and succeeded in ways I never thought possible.

Advice to Management

Stop, look & listen to everyone.

Other Employee Reviews for Omni Hotels

1. "Great stepping-stone"

Former Employee - Bellman in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Bellman in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment was nice. Of course, all things depend on your supervisors and managers, but as long as you obey and do what you're told - things usually go well. I was on the bell staff and enjoyed talking with guests, helping with their luggage, and parking their cars. Tips were typically good, and hourly wage was good too - although I left right before they lowered the hourly.

Cons

Sometimes, the hours were hectic, early mornings or late nights were your only options. I think that is part of the business though. I worked closely with the managers who were payed a salary and worked their butts off with usually at least 50 hours a week but, of course, they didn't get over time. At some points, if I was getting good tips, I would be making more than the managers.

Advice to Management

HIgher pay equals higher moral. Higher moral equals greater company loyalty.

"Former Glory Replaced by Management Mess"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive. Opportunities for advancement are there if you're patient and hard-working. Employee cafeteria is inexpensive and convenient. Training is thorough and well-organized.

Cons

Pay is NOT commensurate with level of work. Guest volume is TOO HIGH (at least within the Spa), which sets the staff up for failure. Management maintains a distance from the service floor and has little understanding of actual issues. Management plays a finger-pointing game in order to "solve" problems. The bottom line defines all policy changes-- which is to say, concern over profitability trumps employee satisfaction and safety. Time off is impossible to get. Requests will sit for months without being considered. Medical schedule requests are denied. Lower level managers are not trusted in their roles and are micro-managed until they're completely ineffective. Upper management is unapproachable and out of touch.

Advice to Management

Consider the employee experience more seriously. Require "on-the-floor" time for upper management to help maintain a better understanding of real issues. Limit access so that guests are not stacked on top of each other and staff can do their jobs effectively. Trust your hiring process and your staff members... trust is the most effective empowerment. The aspects of OMNI's culture are great in theory, but are not truly embraced by those in charge although they're read to staff ad nauseam. Simplify the multiple software systems into one.