OneAmerica - More Political then most employee's know | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OneAmerica

"More Political then most employee's know"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OneAmerica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First of all, the products and services they offer are very good. They are in a great location and do alot for the downtown area. There are many good people that work there and they have a defined benefit retirement plan that is great if you are there long enough.

Cons

The higher up you go in the organization the more political it gets. HR has an unbelievable amount of control over how the business is run. Their salary philosophy is to pay below average. Most people who have never worked anywere else don't realize how underpaid they are for the work they do. They are a distribution driven company meaning if you are not in sales, then your not as important. Operations is always being asked to do more with less and the IT department is one of the worst run deparments. They outsourced a lot of IT functions last year and its been a big cluster. The CIO should be fired for that move alone. Their Employee Benefits division is in shambles after the C-suite decided to let thier managers go and there is no clear plan for the future so avoid that division at all cost.

Advice to Management

Get HR out of the business lines and let the line heads actually run the business. Invest in your IT and bring your systems into the current centry. Dumb the outsourced IT idea and get that back inhouse. Talk a look at your salary structure so you can start attract better than average employees. Pay more attention to your operations. They support sales and if they are not well build, all your sales efforts eventually will leave.

Other Employee Reviews for OneAmerica

"Over-worked and under-paid"

Former Employee - Plan Services Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Plan Services Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at OneAmerica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great downtown location. Very nice physical environment. Decent benefits, free parking.

Cons

Low pay. Since I left the company, my salary has doubled--yes, doubled. Promotions at OneAmerica go to those who kiss the most butt, and not to those who are best qualified. Too little difference between the merit increases of hard workers and mediocre workers.

Advice to Management

Raise pay levels. Institute more difference between increases for top performers and increases for average workers.

"My career is going nowhere at OneAmerica"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Lots of time off
    Nice coworkers
    Decent benefits

Cons

Management in our area (IT - Web Solutions) is inept and absent. I almost never see my manager and hear from him very little. Our web properties are dated and embarrassing for the sales staff when trying to make a sale to a new client. Management says one thing and does another....after about 5 times of this, I'm losing faith in the ability of my manager to lead our group. Everything we do here is made more difficult by the antiquated systems and procedures. Change is extremely slow and most projects stall in meeting hell. Meeting after meeting after meeting after meeting. Low morale, lack of leadership, little to no opportunities for advancement.......not a good place to work

Advice to Management

The web solutions group needs leadership. Our systems need to be brought into the 21st century. Help!