Online Business Systems - Let go while on short-term disability for depression and anxiety caused by my job | Glassdoor

"Let go while on short-term disability for depression and anxiety caused by my job"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

To compensate for job insecurity, their consultants make an above average salary.

Cons

I was hired as a .NET developer and on my first day I was instructed to rework my resume to hide the fact that I had no Java experience so that they could send me to my new placement at a Java shop. We had to make it look like I had more Java experience than I did so that the client would agree to take me on. While this was happening, they assured me that I wouldn't be there long, that they would find me a better placement "soon". I had no support in this position. I was the only person working on a legacy project in a language I didn't know. Nobody at the office or at the client site knew the system I was working on, and there was no documentation available to help me figure it out. Due to the fact that I was the only developer on the project, I spent most of my days secluded and working alone. After 6 months I started asking for a new placement. I received many assurances that they were close to finding me a new position. After 9 months I started medication and therapy for depression and anxiety brought on by my situation at work. I brought up the fact that I was unhappy at work and wanted a new position. Again I was reassured that they are close to finding me a new placement. At 14 months, with no support from Online and no end in site to my "short term placement", my depression and anxiety reached a boiling point leading to an absolute breakdown at the client site. I began my short term disability a few days after that. After 6 weeks on disability, as I was preparing to go back to work, my employment was terminated with little to no explanation. This is despite the fact my disability was covered by the insurance company and was not costing Online any money whatsoever. My co-workers were simply told that I left the company. Assuming that I had moved on of my own accord, coworkers started to congratulate me on my new employment asking where I was working, and what the new opportunity was. Consultants at online are not notified that someone's employment has been terminated. Only that they have moved on. It keep the lucky consultants remaining more complacent I think. My experience at Online showed me that they care more about your billable hours than they care for you as an employee or person. They are willing to match you with work you are totally unqualified to do, as long as the client pays for it. They are also willing to actively deceive clients as to the level of expertise that their consultants have, all so that they can get another billable bum in a seat.

Online Business Systems2015-07-29
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Security Analyst

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time

Pros

Work life balance, management is 2nd to none.

Cons

Not much cons, a lot of room for growth.

Online Business Systems2019-11-17
  2. "Great company, great people and great balance of hard work and fun."

Current Contractor - Security Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Online Business Systems for less than a year

Pros

Engaging management, peers and staff. Working hard to be the best. Extremely skillful and team oriented employees.

Cons

Fast growing so hang on.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on this fast growing company.

Online Business Systems2019-09-30

Discover more reviews about Online Business Systems.