OpenDNS - OpenDNS is an awesome place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OpenDNS

"OpenDNS is an awesome place to work"

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of transparency between teams and everybody is more than willing to work together to get the job done. I've observed that as we continue to grow our company and grow our product, we've hit some spots where the growing pains are apparent. However, I've found that everybody is willing to come together to address them and work through them as quickly as possible. Discussions among staff, work-related or not, are fruitful and I always manage to learn something new when interacting with my co-workers. On top of all of that, I feel that the time and effort that I put in as an employee are appreciated and respected.

Cons

I've honestly given this question some thought, and I can't come up with anything. Like I said earlier, we hit snags and growing pains here and there, but they're addressed quickly and desirably.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Pass down the vision and your enthusiasm, and everything else will follow.

Other Employee Reviews for OpenDNS

"Great Company with Strong Leadership"

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, great office and location, great work life balance, leadership.

Cons

No South bay office. No included go pass for caltrain.

2. "Good engineers, but Cisco acquisition is hurting"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great engineers. Learned a lot working here. Everyone seems enthusiastic about our work.
    * Super laid-back culture. Usually no deadlines, no strict development processes.
    * Benefits are pretty great. Top-notch health insurance, large bonuses twice a year.

Cons

* Since the Cisco acquisition, we've been transforming from a bottom-up company to a top-down. More and more often, it seems upper management makes seemingly arbitrary decisions that get handed down like decrees, with no input from engineers, and no opportunity to object. Seems like lots of engineers are getting fed up and leaving because of it.
    * Pay isn't really competitive at all
    * We seem to have a lot of trouble hiring people, probably in large part because of the pay

Advice to Management

* Cisco bought us because we did security better than them. Stop making decisions for us. Value feedback from your engineers.
    * You need to pay your engineers what they're worth