OpenX - Chaotic, demanding, and fun | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for OpenX

"Chaotic, demanding, and fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time

Pros

The work is interesting, the office amenities nice, and the people by and large are talented and easy to work with. The exec team is approachable and smart.

Cons

Compensation is on the low side, and retention seems to be an issue. A decent number of employees don't make it more than 1-2 years either due to poor performance or burn out.

Advice to Management

Bring compensation in line with the industry.

Other Employee Reviews for OpenX

"Great place to work, smart people and truly enjoyable!"

Current Employee - Director, Product
    Current Employee - Director, Product

I have been working at OpenX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I make a difference and love contributing to our overall success.
    I see clear strategy and opportunity for us to continue to expand.
    I count on my manager and executives to display great judgement for our business, team and clients.
    I know my manager and executives are open and available for a conversation about our company, process and products. It doesn't matter who you are, open door policy.
    I have a great relationship with my manager - no agendas, no BS, no reading between the lines - just plain ol' straight shooting.
    I know our work ethic resonates and builds our creditability.
    I experience great collaboration and teamwork, especially during an escalation. We all come together and kick ass with a single, common goal. It feels great!

Cons

Need to be flexible and nimble in an environment like ours and unfortunately not everyone is suited for that.
    As with any growing company, its imperative to have solid process and proper communication. I think we are good, but could do even better here.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture and values that have attracted so many brilliant, interesting people to work here in the first place. Hire for culture, train for skill.

I'm part of middle management at OpenX and have worked at other technology companies including Yahoo! and I can honestly that this is best place I have ever been a part of. Even though my commute is not optimal (almost 3 hours a day), I come to work excited and inspired to be here.

"A place to develop your career"

I have been working at OpenX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OpenX has always been a tough place for me to gauge. On one hand it's an amazing company with driven and intelligent people. On the other hand, it's still very much at struggle discovering it's identity in a crowded space. What I will say about myself and OpenX is that struggle makes us stronger. The constant struggle of both identifying industry trends while trying to set yourself apart from the pack is constantly on everyones mind...Do we disrupt...or do we do what everyone else is doing?

With that being said, OpenX's struggles are very much a positive about this place. Without struggle...life and work is boring. OpenX is made for people who want to contribute immediately and play a part in a company establishing it's identity.

Besides the day-to-day, OpenX is a beautiful workspace with a great culture. I'm speaking from the perspective of an employee at HQ. We've got a great game room, facilities, and group of people that keep you happy at work. There is NO reason you should ever feel like an outcast here, not only are the OpenX employees great people, but the management makes an effort to plan social events on a monthly basis so you can get to know everyone around the office.

It's a work place, it can't be perfect and we do demand a lot...but OpenX has been great to me and the people around me.

Cons

To restate from the last sentence of my 'Pros'... it's a work place. It's incredibly demanding, don't think that you will grow here working 9-5 and just getting your stuff done. If you want to be recognized here you must put in the hard work, which I will say isn't for everyone.

This is a con for people who want to coast, it's not an easy job working at OpenX. Work hard and you will be recognized, slack off and you will be out the door.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking to everyone around the company, the amount of insight you can get from a fresh set of eyes is amazing.