Opera Mediaworks - Best company I've worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opera Mediaworks

"Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have a very diverse culture and "open" in terms of flex time and sharing ideas. It's a growing company and it's fun, fast, exciting, and cutting edge. I've never been a company where the growth rate was this exponential. I feel our product is innovative, have rich set of features, and seeks to answer the needs of our customers. Upper management is open to share the vision of the company and show strategically how we plan on growing the business. The people are smart, open, caring, fun, and take our work and responsibilities seriously. I love the passion and energy of coming to work and know my co-workers actually care about what we do and want to service our customers and strive to improve. I feel opportunities are there for career growth for those that seizes it. At the same time, nurturing, support, and guidance are also available for those less ambitious and need more direction.

Cons

We're a growing company and there are kinks that needs to be worked out. For those that need more certainty, structure, and set defined processes; it might be hard to adjust.

We're also in a complicated industry where the technology is advance so the learning curve is high. It is a bit of the "survival" mentality in the beginning so preservation and persistence is key.

Compensation can be more competitive to the Valley's standards.

Other Employee Reviews for Opera Mediaworks

1. "Pretty Damn Good Performance and Quality Traffic"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On the cutting edge of mobile advertising with Global reach. We will find a way to make performance happen unlike other networks I worked for.

Cons

We are silent but deadly, I hope that we spend more marketing dollars in key territories.

Advice to Management

Please give us stock, rev.share and/or quarterly bonuses. Promote within

"Used to be a great company, no longer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the things that made this company a nice to place to work are deteriorating fast, like open communication, flexible hours and openness to new ideas.

The company seems to be responding to marketplace changes by adding more levels of management. These new levels add a level of bureaucracy and "process" that is, frankly, just a drag. It used to be a cool culture with smart people.

A lot of people mention the free meals as a positive benefit. Those reviews leave out a few key factors. Opera brings in food because the office is in such a desolate location that there are very few food options nearby. Who has time to get in the car and drive to pick up a take-out order? No one delivers. And those employees without cars have even fewer options. And bringing in food to us keeps us chained to our desks longer. So I guess in one way having catered meals is nice...but most of it tastes like convention food to me.

However, I am writing this review in response to a madatory, ansinine Interview Training session. First of all, I am forced to attend a long meeting out of my busy day, I would like to assume that the company is using my time well. The training was unorganized, not helpful and a complete waste of time. I have been hiring team members for enough years that I know how to do this. I don't know who this training was for, but it was insulting.

Cons

The HR department seems inexperienced, immature and incompetent.

It was mentioned in the training that turnover is scary high and we were strongly encouraged to combat that by writing flowing reviews on Glassdoor.

Ok, Opera HR: you got your request!

Advice to Management

Make your compensation competitive. Stop adding layers of managers who don't know what they are doing. Unite your teams instead of having them compete for the same customers! Communicate with your employees and not just "something exciting is on the way!" Create and discuss career opportunities. With all this new structure, I don't know what my next role might be...except probably at one of your competitors.