Opera Solutions - Promising ideas, mediocre execution | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions

"Promising ideas, mediocre execution"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Unique approach to solving large business problems by combining consulting and analytics/software, at least as an idea
- Very smart, personable, kind and creative people with high willingness to learn and teach
- Good place to learn how to do a little of everything, although that is partly due to massive lack of formal structure
- Decent compensation and work hours flexibility

Cons

- Highly disorganized organizational structure that changes every few months
- Lack of communication and transparency
- Lack of clear and consistent career ladder - expectations are always shifting and employees are expected to hit moving targets each review cycles
- Too many product ideas with nearly not enough staff to execute on them - no good products firm was built by chasing 10+ targets
- Some people in senior management are trying to do some good, but it may be too late

Advice to Management

- Communicate honestly with your employees and trust that they can help turn the company around - you hired them because they are smart and capable, you use them to solve clients' problems, so why not your own
- Pick 2-3 products, at most, and invest in them
- Identify a growth strategy and stick with it
- Make HR do it's job of actually helping people manage their careers

Other Employee Reviews for Opera Solutions

1. "Loads of potential and talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is positioned on the leading edge of a booming industry, no doubt about it. We are constantly asked to solve incredibly complex questions for some of the best known companies in the world. The work is challenging and changes frequently, like at any successful start-up.

Cons

We need to accelerate the transition from a consulting model to being a repeatable solution company. This is critical to growth and scale. Many of us know this is the correct path, but some people are confused or hesitant about how the changes will affect them. There's a ton of great technology and science being developed, can make prioritization tough at times for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Speed up the transition process. Communicate clearly and frequently. Put some opportunities on the back burner and execute on a few truly great ideas.

"Opera has what other companies lack"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Opera Solutions is full of young, smart, optimistic people. Maybe too optimistic. As someone who's worked at several companies and in a completely different industry, I find many of the things that others are disgruntled about at Opera refreshing. The company is trying to redefine itself from a consulting firm to a product-based company, which is a very difficult task. But instead of just laying off consultants (and those who are a bit stuck in the consultant mindset), the company (from my perspective at least) seems to be trying to hold onto them, valuing its people more than any other company I've worked at. After many rounds of layoffs at other companies, this is a nice change of pace, even if it is to the temporary detriment of others.

The CEO is incredibly smart. He knows big data, he knows business, and he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know—and hires the best scientists and domain experts to make his vision a reality. I find him refreshingly honest, able to admit to his mistakes and humble enough to learn from them and move on. The company is forging through uncharted territory, and you need a leader who is willing to self-correct.

My favorite part about Opera is the employees. The company spares no expense in the hiring department (it seems), and that is a huge benefit. Many companies hire the least expensive people who can barely do the job that's necessary in order to save money. When that happens, growth is impossible, as no one can excel or learn, and the company becomes stagnant and dies. Here, you have a company full of overachievers--Ivy League grads, some with years of experience in their fields who can really help shape the careers of the younger staff. In my experience, this is no longer the norm most places.

Other quick notes from my perspective:

--My hours are great. There has been some evening and weekend work, but on average, I'm home an hour earlier than was I used to be.

--While I haven't participated in many of the extracurriculars, that there are any is rare. A company that volunteers, has happy hours, reaches out to the community, etc. speaks to the forward-thinking company culture, as well as to the level and type of employees here.

--This is a fluid, dynamic environment. While that may make some people crazy (and it makes me crazy sometimes, too), it also means that employees can move around a bit. I think some employees give managers too much power to control their experience here. *Everyone* contributes to the overall dynamic, and each of us is ultimately in charge of our own experiences. Those who are willing and able to take on additional responsibility and/or leadership roles seem to move up very quickly. This is rare and should be seen as a benefit and opportunity.

Cons

The "flat" organization isn't really flat--nor is it beneficial. It just makes transparency that much more difficult.

Advice to Management

Take some management courses. As with most companies, you're all adept in your fields, but managing people isn't it. Get on the same page and provide a clear, unified company structure and direction, and then stick to it.