Opera Solutions - Turning the Corner with Momentum Building | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions

"Turning the Corner with Momentum Building"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Advice to Management

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

Other Employee Reviews for Opera Solutions

"Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

Cons

Still a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Advice to Management

Be sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

"You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whether you're into business, software, or data science, this is place where you can create your own opportunities in a small enough environment to make meaningful contributions in anything you do. It's not a place where you can scrape by putting in 35 hours a week and hope to expand your growth or make an impact. As with any burgeoning market entrant, growing pains abound. If you're the type to see opportunity in the face of uncertainty, enjoy a good challenge, and can perform under stress and constraints, you'll succeed and be rewarded. If not, you'll quickly become frustrated and end up somewhere else, which isn't a bad thing (though watch out for these reviews). Subtle pros: free lunch every Friday, great culture, high quality colleagues, lasting friendships and professional relationships easily built.

Cons

Communication is the biggest con. Most of the time we are completely in the dark about what's going on in the company. It's tough to be motivated when performance bonuses dried up over time. They are allegedly coming back based on individual project performance, but we'll have to see to believe. Benefits are completely terrible, and salaries could be better (promotions help a bit). Hours vary widely, and allocation of work can be very unbalanced within teams.

Advice to Management

Explain what is going on! Stop the rumors and address the big issues that bother people the most. Motivate your top performers so they don't leave and empower them to become advocates for your vision.