Opower - One of the best mid-sized companies with a start-up culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

"One of the best mid-sized companies with a start-up culture"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - QA Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone's motivated. Highly skilled and smart folks. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves by doing great things within or outside their responsibilities.

Cons

Sometimes people may be stepping on each others' toes. Many young managers in the company with little people skills.

Opower Response

Feb 7, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and feedback. All helpful!

Other Employee Reviews for Opower

"An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par.
    * Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO.
    * Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc.
    * Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons

* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering.
    * The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring.
    * If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

Advice to Management

Dan and Alex are doing a great job running the company, but as the company grows, they'll need to work A LOT harder to find out what the "boots on the ground" folks actually think about life at Opower. You should probably assume that your VPs are giving you an overly-optimistic impression of how their individual contributors are doing. Hiring/training great managers is probably the biggest problem.

2. "Smart people, great mission, good perks."

Current Employee - Associate Professional Services Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is intelligent and committed to their work. They're always willing to go the extra mile to make sure things turn out right.

Cons

There are some growing pains given the ridiculous hiring rates Opower has been experiencing. It can be hard to keep track of who's in charge of what since it changes so frequently.