Opower - Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

"Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal"

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons why I like working at Opower, and why I don't want to work other places. Here are some highlights:
* Company growth - our impact is increasing, the ability for advancement is high, and the experience you get osmotically from being part of a company from <100 employees to >500 employees (and beyond!) is great
* People - when I first started, I felt like I went from the real-world to a genius retreat. I was used to being the A+ player at my previous jobs, and at Opower it was a struggle to be stellar. That's the kind of struggle I appreciate.
* Iterative mindset for EVERYTHING - Review process not good? Revamp it! Your job has too many manual steps? Automate and improve it! Have an idea for other teams due to a chance discussion in the hallway? Suggest it and help build it!

Cons

The work is hard, but if you want to advance in a high-growth, poised for success company, it should be. Also, despite the "start-up" culture and quick turn-around, sometimes things are very slow to change for such a young and relatively nimble company, for example the work going into some back-end items to improve performance have been slower and impactful to a few key teams. It has not hindered delivery but has surely taken resources from improvement initiatives.

Some people would rather work where a product is fun or grabbing more headlines (Twitter, Tesla, etc.), that might be a con to some. I'd rather save the planet, save consumer's money, and work in a fun environment with driven people.

Advice to Management

I'm a pretty big fan of the management team that has been built, so a few items:
The budgeting process is more complicated and rigid than necessary.
Dan & Alex - keep leading us into the stratosphere, we'll follow. Alex - keep opening those doors to huge markets and leverage your company's experts to impress potential clients. We aren't as small as we used to be and can bring some thought-leaders to various aspects of the space. Dan - keep pushing on eng&product to deliver the improvements to fuel growth. They're doing great, let's keep it going. Also, I hope you're public speaking style never changes.

Other Employee Reviews for Opower

1. "Best opportunity in northern Virginia if you want the small software experience, with caveats..."

I have been working at Opower (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opower feels like a Silicon Valley software company in many ways. The company has a unique commitment to doing the right thing and supporting the company mission of saving energy which pulls together a motivated team. The management team is highly approachable and mostly likable. There are some of the perks more likely to be seen in on the west coast such as free snacks and drinks, massage and free lunch one day a week, casual dress code, encouragement to bike to work. The vibe feels like a small company. If you're looking for a software company in the DC area that feels more like something you'd find in the Bay Area, this is it.

Cons

Bureaucracy is high relative to company size with bank-like title inflation. Pace of innovation is slower than you'd expect in SF or NY (though probably fast for DC). Support staff operate as inflexible fiefdoms.

2. "Great Mission! Good People!"

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is absolutely the best part about it. Also, the team in Arlington is absolutely the best and friendliest of any software company I've ever worked at.

People really care about their jobs and are endlessly inventive

Cons

Long hours are expected.

The SF office has almost no interest in building cross-department or cross-team relationships that are not strictly business. It's an entirely different culture from the Arlington office.

The payscale is competitive, but on the lower end of competitive

Opower Response

May 16, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

So good to hear you are happy and thank you for the feedback. We definitely want camaraderie between the east and west coasts and globally. We're in the process of building more conference rooms in ... More