Opower - Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

"Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal"

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons why I like working at Opower, and why I don't want to work other places. Here are some highlights:
* Company growth - our impact is increasing, the ability for advancement is high, and the experience you get osmotically from being part of a company from <100 employees to >500 employees (and beyond!) is great
* People - when I first started, I felt like I went from the real-world to a genius retreat. I was used to being the A+ player at my previous jobs, and at Opower it was a struggle to be stellar. That's the kind of struggle I appreciate.
* Iterative mindset for EVERYTHING - Review process not good? Revamp it! Your job has too many manual steps? Automate and improve it! Have an idea for other teams due to a chance discussion in the hallway? Suggest it and help build it!

Cons

The work is hard, but if you want to advance in a high-growth, poised for success company, it should be. Also, despite the "start-up" culture and quick turn-around, sometimes things are very slow to change for such a young and relatively nimble company, for example the work going into some back-end items to improve performance have been slower and impactful to a few key teams. It has not hindered delivery but has surely taken resources from improvement initiatives.

Some people would rather work where a product is fun or grabbing more headlines (Twitter, Tesla, etc.), that might be a con to some. I'd rather save the planet, save consumer's money, and work in a fun environment with driven people.

Advice to Management

I'm a pretty big fan of the management team that has been built, so a few items:
The budgeting process is more complicated and rigid than necessary.
Dan & Alex - keep leading us into the stratosphere, we'll follow. Alex - keep opening those doors to huge markets and leverage your company's experts to impress potential clients. We aren't as small as we used to be and can bring some thought-leaders to various aspects of the space. Dan - keep pushing on eng&product to deliver the improvements to fuel growth. They're doing great, let's keep it going. Also, I hope you're public speaking style never changes.

Other Employee Reviews for Opower

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opower has built a great company culture and group of talented, interesting employees. It feels good to know that the work we are doing is truly helping the world at large. I am happy with my compensation and the flexibility to work remotely when I need to.

Cons

There is a lot of snark, which can be off putting to those who don't care to engage in it. Some people have complained about issues of work/life balance, but I think that is more of a complaint in other teams.

Advice to Management

POW!

Opower Response

May 16, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review - we appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

"Great mission and vision, let down by internal politics and ways of working..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Designed to do good for environment, utilities and utility customers.

First impression - fun loving, easy going and incredibly intelligent workforce.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor. Always on culture.

The company suffers from ivy league syndrome, lots of employees in their first job, hungry for success but with little work or real life experience. No true team spirit, a lot of folk are just out for themselves.

You have to watch your back!

Advice to Management

Encourage better team working and collaboration across lines of business.

Better communication about organisation changes. People just disappear!

Prepare for staff turnover, no longer the promise of IPO wealth.

Opower Response

Jun 12, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our 'do good for the environment' approach and time spent working with other intelligent people... More