Opower - A Great Group of People, Making A Big Difference | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

"A Great Group of People, Making A Big Difference"

Current Employee - QA Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - QA Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

OPOWER is executing very well on a tremendous opportunity to make a big difference in how we think about energy conservation in this country. Everyone is tightly focused on the goal of helping consumers save energy, from the sales and product teams, through the engineering organization and down through the operations group. Communication between the teams is very open and transparent, and everyone is remarkably open to ideas on how to do *anything* better. There's no cross-disciplinary defensiveness, and everyone I've worked with so far is remarkably competent at what they do. Everyone so far has also been remarkably generous with their time. Technical and product documentation on the wiki is very complete for an organization this size, and the new-hire process (getting userids/laptop/building keys/etc) was surprisingly smooth, also for an organization this size. There are some bumps needing to be managed around the torrid pace of growth, but that's a high-class kind of problem to have. The office environment is very social and engaged, but people are respectful if you've got a deadline and need to focus. Plenty of places to hunker down in a quiet corner if you need to. The product development team is very forward thinking in two ways: one, test engineering requires software engineers who are interested in testing, instead of just looking for button pushers; two, the development engineers are incredibly deeply invested in unit and integration testing and in supporting the test engineers on system level and acceptance testing.

Cons

The San Francisco office (new engineering practice being built) is a little isolated from the DC office (headquarters), but that should be mitigated as we gain critical mass. Likewise, bi-coastal commuting during the ramp up phase is a bit of a burden on work/life balance, but everyone on the team understands it and is accommodating. Likewise, that will be less of an issue as critical mass builds in SF.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as open and transparent with the team about what's going on and where we're going. Try as hard as you can to make that openness scale as the team grows. Continue to keep the focus on delivering the most important things that our customers need so they keep paying us, but balance that with the engineering realities and the development, testing and operational levels. Continue to promote even more the concept that infrastructure, scaling and agility are first-class priorities within product and engineering and ops.

Other Employee Reviews for Opower

"OPOWER -- hyper-growth cash flow positive startup having a hugely positive impact on the environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

OPOWER has a terrific culture, a great mission, and is a fun place to work. We're growing like crazy, and we're doing so by having a strong positive impact on emissions. As we grow past one hundred employees tens of millions in revenue, we're providing the same emissions reduction as 1/3 of the entire US solar industry.

Cons

It's a startup, so you have to be willing to roll up your sleeves and solve problems from the ground up. Very little is spoon fed here -- you have to own your work and take responsibility for the good and the bad.

Advice to Management

I'm a member of the management, so I don't think I should be giving myself advice on a public website. :-)

2. "Opower"

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

It used to be a fun place to work

Cons

There was a lack of transparency from upper management