Opportunity International - Intern experience-absolutely awful | Glassdoor

"Intern experience-absolutely awful"

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Shuyang, Jiangsu (China)
Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Shuyang, Jiangsu (China)

I worked at Opportunity International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company declares itself as a nonprofit and has very effective people in the main leadership positions and has locations all over the world.

Cons

The local management is terrible. The job description and interviews are highly misleading, down to lying about what interns role was and what the company was paying for. High cultural barriers in the China branch and no one is available to speak English. After completing all work for the week and planning a short trip which would mean leaving early on Friday, they threatened to fire me from a position which I was not being paid for and which actually cost a thousands of dollars of my own money, after finishing a project that would have otherwise cost them hundreds of dollars. When trying to reason with them and explaining there was no more work to be done, they told me to quit and to be out of the apartment in the next few hours.

Advice to Management

Gain a better understanding for the interns coming into the company. Be clear about the job and not misleading until it is too late. Live up to the agreed contract. Know the actual goings on in local offices.

Other Employee Reviews for Opportunity International

1. "Marketing & PR Intern"

Pros

I interned with Opportunity International as an undergrad. I was given the freedom to work in the areas I was interested in. I received assistance while writing blog posts and was given feedback on how to improve. Overall a great organization.

Cons

It was only a summer-long internship so I did not have much opportunity to get deeply involved with the organization.

Advice to Management

Since the internship was unpaid, the jobs that needed completed were not always clarified. Maybe consider formally writing out expected goals? On the positive side, it encouraged self-sufficiency.

2. "Intern"

Pros

Truly amazing community, and people are committed to their work!

Cons

It's a smaller company that I think needs some work still with figuring out how to succeed in the market.