Optoro - Growth-stage company with big opportunity | Glassdoor
  1. "Growth-stage company with big opportunity"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Optoro full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Really talented collection of people. Lot's of cross-functional collaboration. Optoro is solving a major problem in a growing market. People have the ability to drive change and impact the company. Office is excellent and right in the middle of DC. Lot's of fun company events throughout the year. Well-respected in the broader DC tech community.

Cons

Company still reverts back to a start-up mentality at times. Communication across the organization can be improved. Strategic initiatives can shift quickly, even before the results of the previous approach are known.

Advice to Management

Try to fill exec-level jobs quicker. Long times without someone in seat in critical roles creates challenges for the org. Find ways to share with your employees what's on your mind (e.g. what's working & what's not).

Optoro2019-09-03

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Learning Experience and Great Work Enviroment"

Former Intern - Intern - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro for less than a year

Pros

-Competitive pay for interns -Everyone was really willing to help -Snacks/drinks -Interesting projects -Company is dealing with a very interesting and relatable problem (waste in retail)

Cons

-Company is changing, looking for investors, so the culture seemed to be shifting to more corporate -Lots of OGs were leaving due to this -Some teams seemed to have an insane workload and under staffed -Hiring was slow for important positions

Optoro2019-08-05

"Great environment, terrible organization, worse product"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Optoro full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are amazing at times. The culture is pretty set in stone and it can be hard for a new person to come in, especially if they have different opinions and views. Overall, I got along with most people. The office is AMAZING! One of the nicest offices I have ever worked in. They have awesome events frequently. If you are looking for a great opportunity to learn and improve your dev skills, this is actually a... great place.

Cons

The #1 reason I left this company is due to the direction this company is headed. From the outside looking in, it looks great, they are winning big clients back-to-back-to-back and crushing their growth goals. Yes, this may be happening, but not because of their revolutionary product. During my time there, I spent more time in meetings talking about how we were going to "hack/repurpose" a module, rather than... actually executing. This then led to us having to "manage the customers expectations" as I heard daily. This is mainly due to the fact that sales just says yes to everything the customer asks during the sales cycle. "Oh can we return something to you, you then sell it for Bitcoin, then convert that into martian space rocks?" Exageration, yes. But seriously, I would 100% believe it if there was a study done that the sales team didnt know what the word NO is. This would put an immense amount of strain on the engineering team and the implementation team. We frequently had to jump through hoops, meet unrealistic deadlines, and develop one-off requests, just so we could get the deal signed. So like I said, the product is what is the main problem. Optoro just signed their biggest client yet, but I have very little confidence that they will successfully (on time, on budget, within scope) implement them. I left shortly after the scoping phase and the requirements needed (that were supposed to be gathered and negotiated with sales) were eons away from what the software could do. So, back to seeing how they can "manage customer expectations" and "hack" the system. This is the norm and if you have a new idea or want to explore a new direction, good luck. Unless you are a tenured, principle engineer, you have no say. The principle engineers pretty much-run engineering and product management. If they don't like your idea, then you might as well not even raise your hand. This happened to me dozens of times during my time there.

Advice to Management

The 2 founders are both great people! Are they fit to run this company, thats another story. Both come from a prestigous ivy league school. Neither have a background in software, nor supply chain. BUT because they have ivy league degrees (in history and spanish), they know everything. There where multiple instances where someone from our product team (with 10+ years of experience) would make a suggestion, but... because the president didnt "think" it was a good idea, he would kill it. My advice to both founders, understand that you dont know everything about software nor supply chain. Listen to the people around you that have more experience (even if they dont have an ivy league degree) in these fields. Your software is about 1/3 of what you think it really is and this is due to your lack of focus on one core product, but instead 4-5 different channels. You do a lot of things, but none of them very well.

Optoro2019-08-15

Discover more reviews about Optoro.