Oracle - Oracle Consulting | Glassdoor

"Oracle Consulting"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong market presence and strong technical support organization.

Cons

Risk Adverse and too much administrative workload for professional level positions.

Advice to Management

Reduce administrative burden on sales forces.

Other Employee Reviews for Oracle

1. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Principal Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart People, Great technology, competitive pay. Company is very flexible in terms of schedule and where you can work from. Fairly entrepreneurial for a company this size. benefits are good too.

Cons

All business. Bottom line is everything. Not really a big con but if you are the type that wants to be all warm and fuzzy then its not for you.

Advice to Management

Care for people

"OK Place to Work, but Odd Office Culture"

Current Employee - Development Team Member in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Development Team Member in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When you need a day off, or need to work from home for whatever reason, there usually isn't a problem, but depending on the project you're working on, you may be asked to work longer hours. That's entirely dependent on the team you're on, however. Some teams seem fairly relaxed.

Benefits are pretty good as well, with Oracle kicking in a portion of the amount that employees would normally have to pay.

Also, do you like to work with two monitors? Three? No problem. You'll get what you need to do your job here.

Cons

Salary increases at the Bala Cynwyd location seem random at best, and there can be many months (20+ is not uncommon.) between increases... and when an increase does come, it is seemingly unrelated to your personal achievements or the business unit's performance as a whole... so the entire process is pretty random, making you wonder what's driving it.

Simply put, you can't bank on salary increases with this business unit, even though it's an enormous company with extensive resources. Also, some people get bonuses, while others aren't even aware that people sitting across the floor received bonuses while they're left with nothing.

Office culture at the Bala Cynwyd location - specifically, on the development team - is a little strange. For instance, when HAVE TO collaborate with people, you find that they are friendly enough and they know their one area of specialty quite well, but the next day, the same people will put their heads down and scurry by you in the hallway, not even greeting you. The general impression I get is that people are desperate to get their work done with ridiculous haste so that they can RUN out of the place as early as possible. People voluntarily come in at the crack of dawn, and by 4:30, the place is a ghost town. Maybe only 20% of the employees are still there at 5:15, which sounds great, until you learn that office norms mean you'll raise eyebrows if you come in later than 7:30 a.m.

A few other things:
    -There seems to be a boys' club at the top of the Bala org., and it is abundantly clear who's favored.
    -Sometimes, when you reach out for help from another team, said team will be completely unresponsive, leaving you on your own to solve a problem that requires their input.
    -Other Oracle locations/BUs allow for flexible work arrangements, meaning people can work from home for part of the week. For some reason, development management seems to think that people can't possibly collaborate if they're not in the office, so working from home is used on an as-needed basis here. This line of thinking is fairly archaic, even by traditional Oracle standards.

Advice to Management

Talk with your employees - not just via all-hands meetings and team scrums, but by ACTUALLY WALKING AROUND and engaging them in conversation. Let them know what's going on more than once per quarter. I realize that this might mean you'll have to leave your tower, but since you won't let us work from home anyway, and we're all here until we jog out of the place at 3:30 every day, you can at least stop by and acknowledge that we exist.

Do something to create a culture where people are friendly beyond the obligatory instances.

If you have a crushing deadline, and need your employees to grind it out and get it done, fine. We'll do it... but it would really improve morale if you could let us know *why* we're rushing like crazy.

Tell your employees that when they're asked for assistance from another team, a response (even if it's just to say that you're too busy right now) is expected.

If you're going to be random with the length of time between salary increases, maybe you could be random in your kindness as well, and buy us some lunch every now and again. This could also improve morale, which I realize may be an unfamiliar word for you.