Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to be from

Apr 9, 2019 - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Talented and hard-working colleagues. Good health benefits. Good self-training resources though you have to use them on your own time; if you're motivated there is a lot of opportunity to learn. Work/life balance depends on your manager and your own will power. Oracle will take all the time you give it. Employers are impressed if you're from Oracle. Products are deep and well-established, so there's a lot to sink your teeth into. There are a lot of great interest groups - networking is key (but most of us work remotely).

Cons

No salary hikes, raises generally frozen - if you want a raise, leave and come back negotiating. Travel also frozen - most of us work remotely now, so you never get together with your team. I've only seen promotions at upper management levels. No company loyalty to employees - layoffs can come any time. Company is so lean that everyone remaining is hugely overburdened. Leadership is smart about company direction (lots of high-level VPs and up) but there's no one managing the change across organizations well. Very silo'd. Very old tools or no tools. Tendency to start employee networking tools and then abandon them.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good company

May 27, 2021 - Senior Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good technical skills, Good work culture

Cons

No cons to think about

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Oct 21, 2014 - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Continue reading
    1071 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Oracle.