Oracle - Good solutions; poor marketing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

"Good solutions; poor marketing."

Current Employee - Vice President
Current Employee - Vice President

Pros

We're acquiring some of the best-in-breed software and are serious about tying them together to form best-in-class industry solutions. It's the Cisco model applied to software, and thanks to SOA, it's working. For people who have been acquired, the pace can seem slower, but if you can correctly leverage the huge sales force and pipeline, there is a huge customer base that you can sell to.

Cons

Larry's hatred of Microsoft means we have to avoid their stuff wherever possible. We don't use Exchange servers, and our email system is clumsy and painful. We seem to rewrite even basic applications for internal use - why are we using "Oracle Chat" when there are at least ten good alternatives already out there? Comp is on the low side, but they do give out options.

Advice to Management

Invest some money in marketing your products! It's galling to see SAP's ads touting software that's nowhere as good as ours when we're not saying anything in return.

Other Employee Reviews for Oracle

1. "Good company, but HR could be refined in a big way"

Current Employee - Development Lead in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Development Lead in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle always leading
    Aggressive culture
    Big company benefits
    Surrounded by smart people
    Upper management has their act together
    Sales organization is world class
    Great gym if you have the time to use it

Cons

HR is disorganized - Appraisal, bonus, stock all on different cycles so cannot link together
    Always cost cutting to meet margins.
    Although you can do more with less in US, emphasis is to hire in lower cost areas to save money, when you are really making the US employees work twice as hard to manage local and abroad resources
    Top down approach. Less innovation from the bottom up. A hierarchy driven culture.

Advice to Management

Synchronize HR/people processes. It hurts morale and sets up the manager for failure and disgruntled employees.

"There is no better time in history to be at Oracle."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Working at Oracle offers a wealth of benefits... Here are a few to consider: First, you will benefit by having a top-tier software company, like Oracle, on your resume. Second, successful sales reps are compensated handsomely for their success. Third, the level of intelligence and experience of many of your coworkers and extended teams will be extremely high. And last, you will have good access to the executive level at many companies.

Cons

Oracle is a very complex organization. I do not necessarily see these as "downsides" rather realities... In a nutshell the challenges will come from the following: Acquiring 43 companies in three years does not come without complexities. Couple the acquisitions with the fact that Oracle is a "self-service organization" and you should plan to spend the first six months of your time trying to understand who, how, what system, what group etc. The quicker you map these things out the better off you will be. Oracle is a results oriented organization so quarterly pressures are standard. If you are looking for potluck lunches try another company. Larry is a strong believer in multiple sales reps calling on the same customer. This can cause challenges with customers and sometimes creates tension internally.

Advice to Management

We should strongly consider streamlining some of our internal processes and internal systems. The acquisition strategy is working... continue to aggressively invest where it makes sense.