Oracle - No real career path available. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

"No real career path available."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Broomfield, CO
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company, well known software as well as hardware (Sun Microsystems acquisition). Vast array of technologies to play with.

Cons

No real opportunity for advancement. Pay is below standard. I interviewed for many open internal positions and got accepted only to be told that I could not get a pay raise or pay grade change. Example: Applied for Sys admin 4 position, aced the interview and was the number 1 pick out of the other interviewees; Was offered the position at a much lower pay grade. They would rather bring in someone from the outside and pay them more than promote someone from within. It's business that makes no sense.

Advice to Management

Allow internal advancement to higher recs. I interviewed for many open internal recs and got accepted only to be told that I could not accept the paygrade offer. Basically they wanted me to move into a Sys Admin 4 position but accept the same pay as my lower paygrade.

Other Employee Reviews for Oracle

1. "Such a large organization, it really depends on which part you join..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After coming aboard via an acquisition, it was clear that Oracle is a very large, stable company. The work life balance is definitely there, there isn't any sort of "startup" mentality when it comes to deadlines for projects.

Cons

Being such a large organization, things are very slow to change and move. The salary offered after acquisition was not competitive, and equity was not offered to make up the difference. Everything at Oracle is self-service, which is great for submitting vacation time or your updated W4, terminating yourself on a website is not a nice thing.

Advice to Management

Things tend to be a bit too impersonal. While the self-service approach is helpful for some things. for others it's really too impersonal.

"secure, non-motivating 9-5"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

steady (no big shake ups), secure, good benefits, great work/life balance, very open to working remotely,

Cons

low salary comp, no room for career advancement or promotions unless you leave the co.

Advice to Management

start rewarding your good employees