Oracle - Interesting.... | Glassdoor

"Interesting...."

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Reston, VA
Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Reston, VA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The experience of working for a world renowned corporation.

Cons

Unfortunately, I worked on a team that most of the team members (team leads and managerial level) came from the same former company and most of these folks lived in the same city. It was like the good ole' boy or 'inner circle' or 'in crowd' system. If you did not come from their former company, then you were never considered to be worthy and your input was disregarded. Also, some of the managers did not have the proper managerial skills to manager this particular project or the customer relations. As one of the managers told the customer...." I have bigger fish to fry". This was totally inappropriate to say to a customer!

I don't think this is indicative of the 'overall' Oracle experience. I think if I had worked in another BU of Oracle, I would have had a more rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

Be selective of placing former co-workers on the same team as it smacks of nepotism.

Other Employee Reviews for Oracle

1. "Overall, a decent place to work"

Current Employee - Value Engineering Hardware Developer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Value Engineering Hardware Developer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice campus with great benefits. Massive company that provides excellent health care, on-site services, and employee perks.

Cons

Massive company that's slow in everything. A lot of different people looking after your work.

"After working for well paying start ups, Oracle just can't compete in salary compensation to Bay Area start ups."

Current Employee - Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful Santa Clara Campus, gym and cafe.

Cons

No salary increases, have talked to people who have worked for Oracle for 12 years without any salary increases

Advice to Management

Retain quality talent and contributors by giving salary increases, many employees have earned this. Also back fill positions vacated by attrition. Failure to do so puts added pressure on employees who do work hard. Failure to back fill positions also creates atmosphere where some employees are blatant under-performers, which lends to belief that one can do anything and not get fired because there is too much work for everyone, so even under performers are needed. This then creates tension and conflicts in teams, when those who are over performing to cover the slack of those who are skating by, end up being resentful of those who appear to get away with everything.