Oracle - Great place to start your career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

"Great place to start your career."

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, good work/life balance. Opportunity to work with some of the best and the brightest in the industry.

Cons

It is a large corporation, with lots of moving parts...

Advice to Management

Attract the best talent and do your best to train and retain it.

Other Employee Reviews for Oracle

1. "Should give more thought before you join"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

It is a huge company and have many resources. There are so many things, technologies and/or products that you can learn and try. It is all free because all owned by Oracle. The experience will enhance your technical skill and some of the products, to be frank, are fairly leading edge.

Cons

The schedule is so tight, they will not invest on training. You have to take initiative at your own time. Also, do not expect raise at all nor stock option grant instead negotiate a higher salary starting. Even your manager do want to give u a raise, her hand is tied. It is all control by the most upper management.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee and respect them. Give raise to your employees.

2. "Good solutions; poor marketing."

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

Pros

We're acquiring some of the best-in-breed software and are serious about tying them together to form best-in-class industry solutions. It's the Cisco model applied to software, and thanks to SOA, it's working. For people who have been acquired, the pace can seem slower, but if you can correctly leverage the huge sales force and pipeline, there is a huge customer base that you can sell to.

Cons

Larry's hatred of Microsoft means we have to avoid their stuff wherever possible. We don't use Exchange servers, and our email system is clumsy and painful. We seem to rewrite even basic applications for internal use - why are we using "Oracle Chat" when there are at least ten good alternatives already out there? Comp is on the low side, but they do give out options.

Advice to Management

Invest some money in marketing your products! It's galling to see SAP's ads touting software that's nowhere as good as ours when we're not saying anything in return.