Oracle - Stable but Uninspiring for the Masses | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

"Stable but Uninspiring for the Masses"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well managed company with a huge reach in its customer's IT organziations that offers a wide range of products and roles. Offers its senior managers competitive comp and freedom and good work / life balance for many mid and junior level roles

Cons

Don't come to Oracle expecting to drive innovation or rapid advancement. For mid level and senior managers it's a highly political, surivial-of-the-fittest environment. For individual contributors you need to rely on a good manager to look after you. Raises and bonuses outisde of sales and engineering are rare so make sure you will be happy with your base salary .

Advice to Management

Larry and his execs are not looking for any advice but just in case - there is a lot of untapped creativity in the company. A conscious effort to reward initiative and fresh ideas would pay off.

Other Employee Reviews for Oracle

"Eh..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay's well, lots of potential opportunities

Cons

As a sales rep, over 50% of my time was spent internally fighting for a place in deals, fighting to make sure I got paid ..etc.

"Lucrative but intensely frustrating."

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Priorities shift every year and too many competing viewpoints at Product Management level. Very slow product development process with unwieldly tools. Some groups very secretive and protective of turf; "Prove to us that it is our bug, but you can't look at our code." Since most products were acquired, not developed in house, there is no consistency in how products work internally or integrate. Some acquired groups have inexperienced engineers. Useless review process and no raises to speak of. Highest management levels do not inspire confidence. Product planning and scheduling are top down. Schedules always have to slip, by a lot. *Always*.

Advice to Management

Put products on independant release cycles and require stable and consistent interfaces.