Orbitz Worldwide - Orbitz in a nutshell | Glassdoor

"Orbitz in a nutshell"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

A decent work life balance with opportunity to learn a new domain. There is a lot of potential for innovation if upper management gets out of the way. There are still some smart, hardworking people in the trenches.

Cons

Most of upper management is terrible and no longer understands or cares how most of the software works and what measures are needed to improve operations. It seems like most of the effort is geared towards maintenance and "keeping the lights on". Little effort is made to recognize or reward talented employees who try to make a difference and thus most of them leave.

Advice to Management

Resign and let the board of directors replace you so the company has focus and understands what needs to be done. It seems like most of the talented developers, analysts, and operations employees have already departed.

Other Employee Reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

"Best place I found!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Challenges. OWW has scale, technology, and a challenging business sector. There is no time to get bored, it keeps me on my feel all the time. There is also and opportunity to work in a variety of areas within the company and you can move around and learn several different areas of the business.
    -Work Life Balance - very flexible place to work. Laid back, casual, and no boss breathing down your throat. Get your job done, and done well, and you will be well taken care of. Also great flexibility for those who have children and outside work commitments.
    -Leadership Team - very down to earth and incredibly smart. Very few offices, and the CTO sits out on the floor in a desk!

Cons

-Challenging business environment - hyper competitive industry which requires innovation and a view for the future. There is no holding still and we need to continually evolve and respond to competition.

2. "Exciting, challenging and engaging! Like being in the valley without the high cost of living!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment full of A players. Employees get lots of opportunities to innovate. It's the best hybrid of technology company and startup with a strong culture of "doing the right thing".

Cons

Sometimes we try to do too many things instead of focusing on a subset of the most important. Accountability is harder than it should be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continuously improve!