Orchard Supply Hardware - Good ole' boys network | Glassdoor

"Good ole' boys network"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

company discount of 20%, but then again when prices are hiked up so much what is the true savings here?

Cons

no real benefits and the shortest schedule of holidays
no respect for employees and their families for time off
such a shame that this is a Califonia company because it certainly does not act professional emough to be one

Advice to Management

karma...what goes around comes around...just watch the stock price

Other Employee Reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware

"Home Improvement Store that Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good coworkers:
    Most of the people are very friendly.

Informed staff:
    There are a lot of merchants on the buying team that know a lot about their products.

Decent discount for retail:
    You get a 20% discount on most items in the store that are helpful to have around the house, even if you are not a home owner.

Cons

I work at the corporate office.

The pay is low:
    I have over 5 years experience in my field and am paid more than 20% less than the low-end of the industry standard for a person in my position in San Jose.

Expensive Benefits:
    If you are under 30, you may be better off paying for your own benefits out-of-pocket.

Lack of trust in associates:
    Most of the time, you don't get to do what's in your job description, and when you do, your decisions are either second-guessed or changed by management. It seems like the only time you are entrusted to do something, is if it isn't interesting to management.

Buying your own office supplies:
    The company for years refused to spend money on things like pens, notepads and post-its. Just recently under our new CEO has the supply spending ban has been lifted.

Dirty office:
    While we are finally getting our corporate office renovated new carpet (the carpet had not been changed in at least 15 years) and fresh paint, we are not changing any of the furniture, nor are they even having our cubicle walls cleaned after all the dust, chemicals, and etc that are flying around during construction. Also, instead of closing the place for a couple weeks, they have stretched out construction for over two months so we can soak in all the goodness even longer. There are multiple pregnant women working in this environment.

Long Hours with little recognition:
    As a salaried employee I'm expected to work whatever hours I must to get the job done, which would not be an issue, if we were not expected to do the work of more two, sometimes three people/positions.

Be warned:
    Please don't work here unless you are very desperate and have lost your job or are just starting out and need the experience. I've been trying to get out for a couple of years but it's difficult with this economy. If you work here already and are reading this, be patient, don't give up hope, and keep looking for a way out!

Advice to Management

Pay associates to industry standard. Negotiate better benefits. Trust your employees. Have the office cleaned periodically. Stop encouraging long hours for salaried employees by burdening them with workloads of multiple positions.

"Great before Home Depot Management came on board"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

The employees are a close knit group and work well as a team. The discount is also a good perk.

Cons

Hours for salaried too long and are expected by upper management with little praise being given when a job is well done

Advice to Management

You should listen to your staff and seek out suggestions and ideas giving praise and recognition where due to those that contribute them.